Restarting an old project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Restarting an old project

I've recently retired and want to pick up an old, long neglected project. I've got a '58 Chevy that's been sitting in my garage for 20+ years. I'm trying to put together a list of all the things I need to do to get it running (safely) again. Things that come to mind are cleaning the fuel tank, flushing the fuel lines, replacing/rebuilding all the brake system parts, replacing suspension assembly rubber parts, cleaning/rebuilding the radiator, getting the engine back into running condition, etc. The engine was running when it was parked. Any suggestions on the best way to get it running again - cleaning/rebuilding the carb, replacing all gaskets, semi-disassembling the engine to clean the inside, other?

As I said, I'm retired now. That gives me the time to do all this, but not the money to hire it out. I've got a pretty good mechanical skill set, so I feel pretty confident tackling the things that need to be done. I'm just looking to tap the collective experience on this forum to make sure that I don't miss any steps. I know that I'm not the first to pick up an old project...

Thanks in advance,
Dah (that's what my 3 grandsons call me)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

First on the list, start a journal! let's see some pics of the old gal.

Seems to me, you've got a pretty good list started. Tires will be on the list eventually, of course, but I would wait just in case something comes up that may idle the project for a while.

Get some grandchildren - Grandpa tasks lined up, polishing chrome, maybe sanding the wheels for paint, you know what I mean. Getting a child into cars with Gramps is a good thing for both of you.

That 58 is a cool looking car, and you just don't see many of them anymore. Goood luck with the project, keep us posted. Dan
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks. Yep tires are on the list. I've gotta put some wheels and tires (got some sitting around) on it to make it mobile. The old tires lost their air and most likely are dryrotted after sitting so long.

My oldest grandson is almost 15. He says he'll help, but you know how teens are. The 8 year old seems much more interested.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

'58

nice car, i really like that body style.. as far as the motor goes. if u haven't turned it over in 20 yrs.. or even 5 for that matter... pull the plugs and squirt some penatrating oil the cyl's and let it sit for a day or two.. then i'd squirt some regular oil in ea and then turn it over... making sure the fuel line is disconnected... do a compression test.. and it sure would be nice to pump up the oil sys before u do any turning over... its dry by now..
Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Ask me about Ethanol

Last journal entry: 65 GTO
Last photo:

Back in 06 I pulled my 67 Cougar out of the shed where it sat for 20 years, but I knew it needed lots more than just a carb kit and some new brake hoses to be ready again. It got a from the ground up rebuild, and it should be drivable this summer provided no other projects get in the way. Anyway, the engine wasnt stuck, but the oil had all run down into the pan. I didnt bother trying to start it, but if I had wanted to I would have pulled the distributor and spun the oil pump after changing the oil in it, and put one of my carbs on it. Mice made an entire world for themselves in my Cougar, I hope yours isnt infested with the little buggers.

If yours has been sitting inside get out a grease gun and lube every zerk you can find under it. Replace the brake hoses because they will cause nothing but problems later even if they work right now. I would rebuild the wheel cylinders too while I was in there, if the shoes are ok, then they will work for now. Bleed the master cylinder and see if the brakes work. Chances are you will have to replace or rebuild the MC too. You could always upgrade to a dual reservoir MC and a proportioning valve, not terrible difficult to do really provided you can find one that will fit the mounts and brake pedal/pushrod.

Check the fuses and lights. If it has an auto change the fluid and filter, if its manual, swap out the gear lube. Same with the rear end. Make sure it will stop good then see if you can make it go. The rest you can do as you find the problems with it.

Or you can tear it down to a bare shell, take the body off the frame and put it on a rotisserie, then replace all the bushings, weather stripping, and rusted panels, and change it over to disc brakes. There is a 60 Biscayne near me I can get cheap, been thinking about picking it up and building it for resale, and if I did it would get the full body off treatment. This way takes longer but you can fix and replace everything in the process. The biggest drawback to a frame off or ground up is how much more room a car takes up when it is torn completely apart. I have two in my shop right now and I can barely move around to work in there.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Thanks. These posts are just what I was looking for. I have one of those tools for turning the oil pump via the distributor hole. I'll add these items to my list.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: It's getting there
Last photo:

This must be the year. I too have retired and will restart my project (41 Chevy Coupe). I will follow your Thread to make sure I'm on the right path also. The main difference is that I just installed a SBC, but then again, a project is a project and there are many common elements.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Ya for sure put some oil in the spark plug holes and let it soak, we tried to start a 58 oldsmobile after it had sat for 20 some years and it was not seized but some valves stuck and ended up getting bent when we cranked it over so we pulled the heads and had them rebuilt but it ran like a top! You could probably even drain the oil and fill it up with diesel, let that sit then drain it and refill with fresh oil.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.