restifying a 69 Charger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 01:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

restifying a 69 Charger

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself as well as ask a question.

1st off, my inventory of vehicals include a 1960 Chevy C10 Fleetside with its original 283/3 on the floor. (For sale if anyone is interested) A 1964 Dodge Dart Convertible with original 225 /6 and only 52K original miles. I bought this one from the estate of Shiner who had it restored for a parade car.

My true love is a 69 Charger SE and subject to my question. This is a SE 318 auto with 293 rear end. Don't ask for a drag race, but I'll take you on the freeway anytime.

I have decided that rather than restore her, I want to update her to be as comfortable as she looks. Since it is not a numbers matching car I want to have her fitted with ABS disk brakes, a computerized, injected new hemi and redo the interior to match the comfort of my wife’s 300M. As I look at the project, I have decided it is more than I will do in my life time, and if I want to have it done right, it is time to find a shop that can do her proud. Having read a lot of the threads on this site, it certainly looks like there are many shop owners as well as customers that have either done parts of this themselves or farmed it out, so I am looking for some advice.

I do not have a budget in mind yet, but figure it would be at least as much as the 300M my wife drives. I will justify this as "my new car" not just a weekend show queen. What should I be looking at for something like this. $$$ and time wise.

Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2004, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

$$$$$$$$ How much you got?? You are looking at $40,000 +++
to have someone do what you outlined and a year at least unless you pay more to speed things up. Your Charger has what's called a Uni-Body frame (you have a front and rear frame section tied together by the main body floor pan.) the whole car twists under high horsepower/torque loads. The fix is to install frame rails to tie the front & rear frame sections. This gives you a solid base to work from. You'll need the Big block front cross member and suspension, a heavy duty rear suspension and the complete ABS brake set up. You've already spent $10,000. A hemi $10,000. EFI fuel system $5,000. Transmission, drive line & misc $5,000. You can see where all this is going. You can easily get to 50-60K with out much trouble. I love the 68-70 Chargers, I had a 1970 440/4 speed and it was one of the best cars I ever had. Everything comes down to what you want out of your project and how much your willing to spend. Shop labor charges almost double the cost, the more you can do the better off your bank account will be.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:37 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Welcome to the board, you might be better buying one that has already been done the way you want or is in the process of being done, it would be cheaper.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Hey, don't get discouraged at any numbers. You can lay alot of mony\ey into any project. Its the end product that your looking for.

Look around the board and read about the great ways to lower costs with some of the most talented folks around.

You don't have to buy things brand new, network is the key.

Welcome aboard.

Dutch
Old 06-24-2004, 07:02 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i think ambitious people are great it keeps us all young! you definetly have a tall order there remember with the proper amount of time and the proper amount of money nothing is imposible!i think it would be safe to say that you wouldhave to measure your time frame in years not months. if your dedicated to see it through to completion we wish you all the best oh and don't forget to store large quantities of alcohol you'll need it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.