Resto tutorial on my 1958 MGA Coupe - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Today I took advantage of some nice weather and in anticipation of trying to make the beast run I back flushed the radiator, cleaned the inside of the valve cover, moved the engine to TDC compression stroke of number 1, scraped,sprayed and wiped the engine with brake clean. I got a bunch of parts in but I am still missing the thermostat housing so until I get that hopes of getting it to rumble to life are delayed. It took me about 30 minutes to get the oil filter in place and I scraped the old gasket seal for about 30 mins also. but in the end I got it in place what a PITA. I also JB Welded the broken intake manifold back together for the test run, I will replace that later. I have always wanted to actually test JB Weld on a repair like this, maybe we do some testing on trying to break it after I get a new one...I also added the oil to the car, its first oil change in at least 28 yrs.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

the goal is have the engine running tomorrow night.....tonight i put in a new starter, new generator, new coil, points, condenser, spark plugs, distributor and wires, and reinstalled carbs and radiator pulley. I static timed the engine to 10* BTDC. I did a compression check twice and the first time the readings were 90,60,110,90, the second time it was 105,105,130, 115 you could literally see it gain 5psi with each compression stroke. the number 3 cylinder was the one with the kernels in it. I am not worried about these readings because the valves have rust and mouse pee on them etc....so I think the real readings will come after some combustion has taken place. And we have 20 psi on the oil gauge when I was cranking it for the compression test.

starter and genereator from autozone with a lifetime warranty and rebuilt in the USA and very affordable I like the parts from there

I pay careful attention to plug wires and firing order and triple check this, i have seen too many guys with big egos screw up the firing order

I found it makes the most sense to lay the wires out before you cut them to size

tomorrow night we hook up the radiator and hoses and a gravity fed fuel tank....and off we go
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

well she runs and breathes..........no surprises, the jb weld did not hold so no more fine tuning until I get a new intake manifold, I will take a break for several days and now and pay some attention to the Mrs. 50 psi of oil pressure at 2000rpm, no noticable oil consumption other then burning off the trans fluid i used to "free" the rings.

here is the videos, the longest is a minute long, i have never posted videos before, on my laptop you just click on the picture and the video starts

this is the crude that came flying out of the exhaust...

Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'd say it was a pretty successful day too. The surprized look and the laugh in the first video when it started, got me laughing too..Can you imagine what your wife would have done if a mouse came running out of the exhaust when she was asking where all this stuff came from.....
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I'd say it was a pretty successful day too. The surprized look and the laugh in the first video when it started, got me laughing too..Can you imagine what your wife would have done if a mouse came running out of the exhaust when she was asking where all this stuff came from.....

yeah within what 20 seconds the car was running i looked at my son and we were both amazed and started laughing....i have had newer engines take longer to start then that did
Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Always a surprise when an old engine that's sat comes to life!
I sold the old engine in my '46 Austin sedan to a friend who wanted it.(replaced with a 327 Chevy) Deal was he could scrap it out if it didn't run, or we'd readjust the price depending on how it ran. It had sat for an unknown number of years.
Two weeks later he calls me and lets me listen to it running on his test stand! Said it had a broken wire in the distributor and once repaired it purred like a kitten!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Always a surprise when an old engine that's sat comes to life!
I sold the old engine in my '46 Austin sedan to a friend who wanted it.(replaced with a 327 Chevy) Deal was he could scrap it out if it didn't run, or we'd readjust the price depending on how it ran. It had sat for an unknown number of years.
Two weeks later he calls me and lets me listen to it running on his test stand! Said it had a broken wire in the distributor and once repaired it purred like a kitten!
So, how did he feel about readjusting the price after it purred like a kitten?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
So, how did he feel about readjusting the price after it purred like a kitten?
He was pretty pleased and even mentioned giving me some more money since I sold him engine and 4 speed for $200. But I was planning on sending it to the scrapyard. so I was happy with what I got and turned down his generous offer to pay more.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

buying engines is always the risk of the guy who leaves with the engine in his truck....sounds like that was a fair deal

well taking a week off felt pretty good, i got the chance tonight to work for a couple of hours and I was able to pick up a replacement intake and i straightend out the heat shield and welded up the cracked portions. my goal is to try and get a "finer tune" on the car this weekend. maybe first thing saturday morning before it gets to be 105* will fit into the schedule.

this looks pretty normal but i do have a broken exhaust stud on the last one on the left

although it didnt effect starting the car last week it does seem to me that my choke mechanism that pulls the assembly down is stuck so I will need to brush up on my SUs a little bit to reolve this one.

your normal battered and beaten out of shape heat shield

after a little massaging and persuasion and welding

and with somne shiny paint on it.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

well tonight I reinstalled my frankenstien heat shield, painted intake and carbs. I was able to make the choke mechanism work without much effort they just had been sitting so long they just needed to be worked a little bit. I started the car up using a temporary gravity fed fuel tank with a shut off petcock. the car ran for 35 minutes and here were the tune up specs I observed. the car timing was set at 10 static BTDC. the car was not burning oil at all and ran very well, even the 30 yr old exhaust sounded pretty good.

1400 rpm, 26* advance with distrib vac plugged, oil 30 psi,18" of vacuum with a rock steady reading, 185* water temp no thermostat
2000 rpm 31* advance with dist vac plugged, oil 40 psi, 185* water temp (no thermostat, 18" vacuum steady
2500 rpm 31* advance with dist plugged and that was the maximum advance

do these sound correct?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:39 AM

MGA timing

More than good for stock.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

worked on the inner sill somemore today.

I need to cut away rust but only after I have a really good mock up on the inner sill and lots of witness marks. this is the only original refernce I have.

start the cutting out process

my inner sill had a slightbow to it from 4" to 4.5" and it made it hard to get things lined up so I just tacked in some braces to keep everything at 4", not really original but it was fighting me to much to get things lined up....

my template

not everything gets bent on a big brake sometimes the vise and scraps works very well for making small bends

Old 07-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

This is one of my favorate threads...keep up the good work...
Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I know many of us are enjoying this and the great pictures you are posting. Keep up the good work.

John L
Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

sand blasting?

I notice you are fitting the new metal before you sand blast.

Of course you are well ahead of where I'd be in the project and my hat is off to you.

But, I don't get why you haven't cleaned up the neighbouring metal before fitting the new metal.

Arn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.