Resto tutorial on my 1958 MGA Coupe - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Arn there are a couple of issues at play...newly sanded metal rusts really fast so they need to painted really quickly after that.....i need to have the inner sills in place before i can take the body off (if i decide to take it off.)

So i am test fitting the parts first and then will grind the areas and weld the inner sills into place. then i will decide later if i will sand blast the body or just sand it with a DA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

some more effort today, removed the rear body mount bolt while I could see it and put it back in place with lots on antisieze so when I lift the body it will come off easy. cut out portions of the old body mount that were rusty and made a new piece. used plug welds to connect the body mount to the repair panel.

I also added my repair panel for the back of the pillar

I then moved to repairing a hole in the frame, I welded on a "handle" to the repair piecec to make it easy to hold inside the frame so I could weld it in place. I used the big vice to bend it to shape.

Last edited by 37ford4dr; 07-22-2012 at 05:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 37ford4dr For This Useful Post:
John long (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 03:53 PM

background

How about a little history on you.What is your trade, how did you get your tinknocker talents, what led you to Morris Garages products, ect.?
This entire prossess has captavated not only myself but many others. I know the project is hard enough without taking the time to document it and share it with others but I for one look forward to each new installment. It takes me back to another time and I thank you for that. Keep up the great work !
Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
How about a little history on you.What is your trade, how did you get your tinknocker talents, what led you to Morris Garages products, ect.?
This entire prossess has captavated not only myself but many others. I know the project is hard enough without taking the time to document it and share it with others but I for one look forward to each new installment. It takes me back to another time and I thank you for that. Keep up the great work !
I am glad you are enjoying the thread, as for me thats funny.... BA Roanoke College 1980, MA Seton Hall 2005, senior manager pure white collar work managing people, my dad was a College professor who had no mechanical aptitude at all. My Moms father was a mechanic but he passed away when she was in college and I never got to know him, I sure wish I did though. Probably like most of us here on this forum I just naturally drifted to mechanical things and in high school I became the tool runner for my friends fathers who were working on cars....they would ask for a box wrench and I would give them a crescent wrench and since I was the only one bringing them anything they took the time to teach me about tools. I guess looking back on it they probably saw the interest in my eyes and took me under their wings. I also have the ability to watch and duplicate, so much of what I learned in body work was just repeating what I had seen. Most of what I know I just self taught my self but I had several mentors along the way who I could ask questions about things. I also read everything I can about the cars I work on and I get all the manuals I can and really read them very carefully. My kids always tease me about the research I do before I pick up a wrench. My first projects after college in the 80s were several motorcyles and then a 1960 econoline, 1974 Jeep CJ and a 1965 chev C10 fleet side. The fleetside was what pushed me over to the British cars. After painting and color sanding the fleetside I promised my self I would never do anything that big again so that was when I got my first MGA, then it was a 1960 Austin Healey 3000, 1954 MGTF, 1969 TR6. then I went to the vettes a 77 resto mod as a father son project with my oldest son and a 69 highly modified convertible and then a 37 ford as a father son project with my youngest son....that brings me to this project. with the exception of the 77 restomod vette I usually sell the projects after I finish them. I enjoy the process of fixing them most of all. I dont really make any money selling them but usually I get back the money I put out for parts and tools. So through all of this and raising 4 kids I have been able to build up my tool collection to a pretty nice set. I try and add a new skill with each project so for this project I bought a spot welder.

the red headed boy in this photo is the one standing closest to the trailer in the beginning of the thread

and this is youngest son who is the kid holding up the trunk floor

Last edited by 37ford4dr; 07-25-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 AM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

hard top believe its been about three months since i worked on the car last so i wanted to sart slow with an easy project so i worked on the door hinge plate.

here it is i drilled out the old screws and retapped the holes

heres the retaining plate, nothing really fancy to make this.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

another quick moment in the garage

I took the wire brush to the area

the mock up

i always use the "best ground" set up when i weld

some quick ugly welds

Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Glad to see you back at it...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:46 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37ford4dr View Post
well tonight I reinstalled my frankenstien heat shield, painted intake and carbs. I was able to make the choke mechanism work without much effort they just had been sitting so long they just needed to be worked a little bit. I started the car up using a temporary gravity fed fuel tank with a shut off petcock. the car ran for 35 minutes and here were the tune up specs I observed. the car timing was set at 10 static BTDC. the car was not burning oil at all and ran very well, even the 30 yr old exhaust sounded pretty good.

1400 rpm, 26* advance with distrib vac plugged, oil 30 psi,18" of vacuum with a rock steady reading, 185* water temp no thermostat
2000 rpm 31* advance with dist vac plugged, oil 40 psi, 185* water temp (no thermostat, 18" vacuum steady
2500 rpm 31* advance with dist plugged and that was the maximum advance

do these sound correct?

Those numbers for advance are ok, they jive with some of the later model lucas distributor data I have showing 7 to 10 degree's base timing and up to 20 added by the mechanical advance at the crank. The rate of mech advance vs rpm is pretty quick though. The numbers for advance are sometimes stamped on the old MGA lucas DM2 distributor parts if that is what you have. The number on the dist mech adv plate is in cam degree's so double it for crank degree's. The vacuum advance should pull in approx 8-10 more by 14 "hg.

My 75 TR6 actually has a vacuum retard distributor that retards advance with applied vacuum, I just plugged it off. This was due to the all mighty emmisions laws in full force by then, makes you wonder.

Note I added a delco alternator, cured my "prince of darkness" blues right away.

Might I add very nice work, way beyond a simple restoration. I did the front end on my TR and some minor engine fixes, I dare not touch a body hammer or paint gun. Impressive keep it going
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0312.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	68753   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0398.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	773.5 KB
ID:	68754  
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM
boatbob2

Your Project.........

Hi,love your tutorial,i can always learn from this great site,only thing i have to add,if it were me doing this project,i would spray OSPHO into all the places not accessible,after welding patch panels.Keep up the great work....
Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

thks guys, i may be slow but i am very steady. this is the time of the year i really do alot of work...

i will check all those number on the igntion next time i fire up the engine. i try to use the engine as a releif from doing body work so i will wait until i get tired with the body work.

all of the surfaces will get painted with a cold galvanizing spray and then a top coat of primer and paint. not many spots will be left with only a primer but when i have to weld two panels together it will have the weld thru primer only. i do plan to pull the body off the frame.

well here is another bite of the elephant and may be the last thing i had to do before i can wrap up this side.

this is the foot well body mount and bolt

this is the template cut out of thin cardboard

this is it laid out on a piece of austin healey 3000 frame i had laying around

some slight persuasion happening

some times things dont fit in the vise to bend when the sides are already bent so i used a piece of flat stock to make the jaws wider

the rough shape

all seams are welded here is the final fitting and welding

to make a nice rounded fit around the bolt hole i used an old steel washer welded to the bottom of the bracket

Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Way cool...
when I want the best possible job I'll epoxy prime the sheet of steel I'm using(all of it ,before I cut anything) so the back side is coated ,second choice is using used hoods and other panels as my sheetmetal for patches because they are already done on the back side.Using weld thru is ok but not near as good...I only use weld thru on repairs that I'm using used parts and then it just around wheel wells and spots that I'll be welding...weld thru isn't so great when coating the back side of new clean steel...Your doing a fantastic job and this will help it last a lot longer,thats all....
Something I find myself doing all the time is fighting the urge to just weld the dang thing on bare because I want to see instant results and its tough to NOT just pick up an aresol can of weld thru or cold gal and spray it quick and go right to the welding (the fun stuff) using epoxy is way better but having the patience to spray and then wait till the nexy day to weld is incredibly hard...Thats why I spray the epoxy when I buy the new 4x8 sheet of steel or use old panels for the smaller stuff...
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

can you weld through the epoxy primer? I have stayed away from the two part paints just for breathing purposes. i figure i inhale so much crap to begin with i just dont need to add to the toxic stuff i breathe. I do use the weld through primer and the galvanized primer only as a primer and then i top coat them.

happy Veterans day to everyone thanks for your service, I actually think about all those who came before me and gave me the right to vote when I am in the voting line.

worked some more on the finishing the pass side.
heres the need for the inner panel

heres the template for the inner panel

here I am bending the piece

this is how you get extra leverage with brake

now to fit the big panel and creat the flange< it its upside down in the photo

these are deep C clamps I use on the sheet metal break and are good for many things

you can see the good penetration by the heat discolortation on the panel

Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 AM

I gotta hand it to you ,theres not a lot of people that would take on such a lot of work...Personally,I enjoy it and wouldn't mind doing it every day if I could...
no,you cant weld thru the epoxy ,you just grind it a little on the edge your welding...If your spotwelding you just hold the new panel in place with screws or clecos and use a spot weld drill or a low angle drill to remove the epoxy only where it needs a weld...
Your not using the weld thru as a primer on the body are you????
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

no the weld through is only where the panels are getting welded, i will use a self etching primer for body work. I like doing this also and a couple of hours through out the week keep me feeling happy....

well we are getting close to wrapping up this side....

heres the panel fitted in place for welding

I added the supports for under the door posts and painted the inside with cold galvanizing primer over the weld through primer and then 3 coats of rustoleum glossy black

here the interior with gloss black. I will use the mig welder for the welding on this and I will grind away the paint that is exposed prior to welding

heres the test fit before the third coats of paint and I will let dry before I weld it in place.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM
bobs77vet

Last photo:

What a great day yesterday was! I got to go on a road trip with my oldest son, meet fellow NAMGAR member George Kress , work on an MGA and Tour George's car collection. George had been watching my post and realized he had exactly what I needed and offered a donation to the cause of a front shroud, front frame extension, and unbent radiator. I glady accepted this generous offer! Our road trip started at 6:00am yesterday and we reached George's shop by 9:30am. We started the dissassembly process and by 11:20 the three of us had wrangled the front end off the parts car. After we got the Shroud loaded into the Pick up the fun really started and we toured George's extensive car and parts collection and enjoyed every moment of it. About 12:30 we had everything loaded up and headed back home. It was a great Day with my son and it was really enjoyable meeting George and I look forward to seeing him again at one of the NAMGAR car shows....maybe even with my coupe wearing the new front end!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.