restomod project- what order to do paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 PM

Last journal entry: 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

restomod project- what order to do paint?

I'm restomodding a 57 chev pickup and this is the first project where I've gone in so deep with total disassemble. Here's what's done so far.
The chassis is complete, painted, with all suspension installed, and brakes (underbody) done and plumbed. The motor and tranny are in place. the stripped down cab is at the body shop right now. Bodywork is complete and it will be sprayed inside and out with epoxy primer. The finished color will be going on the interior, the firewall and the jams only and then it will come home to go back on the frame.
It's from here that I'm wondering what the best way to go is. Should I assemble the front body clip alone and trailer it in to the body shop to spray just the inside (engine compartment) portions and then bring it home, install it and the doors onto the cab and hook up the steering and get the engine wired and running before it goes for final paint to the outside? (the box can be done separate later in any case) OR
Should I pull the motor and tranny, install the front clip and doors and take it in for final spray, bring it back and install the motor and tranny and finish everthing else? Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You shouldn't have to assemble the truck to cut in the fenders and doors and such. I would think the shop would rather have them apart for better access. That's the way I'd do it. Get the truck running (or as close to it as you can) with it apart. Get everything you can un-bolt cut in and then assemble it, finish up the little things and then do the final paint.
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i paint in pieces and then assyemble it. lot less mess on your frame and shiny stuff.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:05 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I'm with Shine. Do all your painting unassembled and then assemble. Use your head during the assembly and you will not have a nick or scratch and everthing will be covered nicely and properly with out all the overspray problems that I have never been able to eliminate, no matter how much I tape and mask. Of course there are draw backs to painting parts and pieces over an extended time. I like to do them all at the same time (over a two day period,max, so color matching is not a problem)

Trees
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Painting the panels off vehicle is okay IF he is using a solid or opaque paint. I would much rather cut everything in, assemble, and then paint the vehicle as a unit. This assures that all of the panels will get the same amount of paint and there will be no shade differences from fender to door to bedside. Besides it is MUCH easier to assemble and align the panels on the truck in primer and then fix any little chips and dings (there will be chips and dings) before final paint.
This is just my opinion of course and, like Trees said there are good and bad points for each method.
Mark

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.