restoration do's and don'ts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

restoration do's and don'ts

Hi All;

I am in the midst of restoring my 1984 Mazda RX7 and don't want to do anything stupid that will hurt the value of the car. Is there a resource somewhere that lists restoration do's and don'ts. I want to ultimately show the car and want to obey all the judging rules. For example, I want to sandblast and paint the suspension components red. Will this hurt me when it comes to judging?

Thanks,
RX7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

It depends on who/what is judging the car. If its some sort of concours restoration (for an rx7??); you will lose points for using anything on the car that the factory didn't when it was new. This gets down to datecoded headlamps, radiator clamps and the proper amount of overspray and properly misaligned panels. This also means you may lose points for too vibrant or shiny topcoat of paint.

If you just want to preserve the collectability of the car; I would restore the major parts, and add modern conveniences that don't detract from the visual statement of the car. This could mean using urethane bushings instead of rubber; and perhaps a more modern exhaust system; or using aftermarket wheels, but keeping the originals under a bench and including them with the sale of the car should you choose to sell it
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
RX7 (08-23-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Swap in a LS3 corvette motor and chev transmission too.

You will have a really cool SUPER CAR that will outperform 99.5% of the cars on the road
for pennies invested. Including the expensive exotic cars. You won't want to sell it. But you will have your pick of buyers
if you decide to .

You will attract plenty of real attention at car shows from judges and others and if you make it prettyand well engineered you will win your fair share of 'em.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Dennis W. Parks

When I used to do lots of event coverage for various magazines, people would ask similar questions or what I would suggest they do to get the car in a magazine. My advice to you is the same as what I told them... build or update the car to suit your desires. If you want to paint the suspension red, go ahead, but with the knowledge that it may not win concours or restoration shows and may not sell. But, if you build it as you desire, simply driving it and enjoying it will be worth it and you might decide to not sell it.

If you are planning to sell it, don't do anythign else to it and sell it now. Then buy something you like. You really need to decide what you want to do with the vehicle (cruise, show, restore, modify, etc.) and then work toward that goal.

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM

look around and buy a mint one.First gen RX-7s are around in fair numbers. I would put a 13b engine if I wanted more power than the 12a. The LS motor is a tougher swap and not as likely to out perform the 13b as you might think. The mazda transmission is good.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
look around and buy a mint one.First gen RX-7s are around in fair numbers. I would put a 13b engine if I wanted more power than the 12a. The LS motor is a tougher swap and not as likely to out perform the 13b as you might think. The mazda transmission is good.
Give your head a shake Its 436 SAE Net horsepower right out of the box.
Get the 3.36:1 gears from a mazda 626 They bolt in. use a GM auto trans (power glide, th350 th2004r is pefered) or a 4 speed or 5peed if you are inclined.
the mazda wankle is a dog even after wasting big big money into it.

A modern V8 swap turns this car into a SUPER CAR for peanuts.
These cars are dirt simple to swap V8's into Including the GM LS motors. Now the thing is worth something.

The RX7 rear end is fairly good. Ther is even a factory Mazda posi. There are only two gear ratios 3.91 and 4.10. The 3.36's swap right in.

Vinny,That BC Bud must be pretty good stuff. LOL

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 08-22-2012 at 11:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to F-BIRD'88 For This Useful Post:
RX7 (08-23-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:51 PM

Ive owned an RX-7,i WORKED AT THE DOCKS WHEN ROTARIES WERE IN THEIR PRIME.I drove every kind of car that came through annacis terminals from 1986 to 1995,including ZR-1s,except I did not drive the countachs that came in a box. Tekam automotive worked on Ross Bentleys rotary car when he raced at westwood,I worked with both Gord and Fred Bentley when at a.t. I worked on the turbo program when mazda brought the 3rd gen rotary in. Im a chevy guy at heart. The mazda is a fantastic sports car. The turbo cars were dialed down for Canada. They make over 400hp when tuned. we have a couple second gen RX-7s here on the street.not that impressive.

LS-3 engine is a great engine,but not enough of am improvement to warrant taking out a turbo rotary..too heavy which messes up the cars near perfect 50/50 weight. The brakes as factory stock would not tolerate the extra weight.putting an automatic in an RX-7 would be silly for sports car handling.
The only real problem with the rotary is the 2 stroke torque and fuel burn.
If you put an all aluminum LS-# and used the hot 480 hp cam,it would be about the same as the 500 hp tune on the mazda 13b t.
A cosmo would probably be an easier swap.
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
RX7 (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks Dennis;
I have 40+ years in the Automotive Industry as a design engineer. I have built many prototypes and have put many cars into production. I think your advise is sound. I do not plan on selling the car and simply want to enjoy the comaraderie to be had at car shows. The key here is to be able to get the car into the classier shows. From what I read on the forums, it appears that my view of automobiles is drastically different than most. Perhaps I have lived cars too long to get excited about how fast it will go but rather, I simply want to enjoy the car for what it is.

By the way when we build prototype and test cars in the industry, we most often do paint the various underbody components different colors so that they will standout in pictures or videos. Many times, the technicians get creative and do some beautiful work. Thats where I got the idea of painting the underbody which is an experience most people don't have. I am sure you understand that the Automotive Industry does tend towards the glitz and glamor side of things.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.