Restoration help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Last journal entry: Before Retoration Begins!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Restoration help!

I'm getting ready to to do a frame off on my 1967 chevelle. I'm 19 and I'm still trying to learn as much as I can! Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

best suggestion I would offer is to bag the hardware keep the parts and associated hardware ( nuts, bolts & brackets) together ......... Keep it organized, that is a big job for a first timer and I have seen some frame offs that just end up in a pile in the center of a garage with no chance of being a car again. Consider taking photos of assemblies before you dissemble, detailed photos, again organization. . Other item for thought is the interior pieces remove them carefully because they will be one of the hardest items to find and the most expensive to replace .......... delicate easily broken, most worn out. Good luck this is a great hobby, full of little details that must be paid attention to, have fun, do not rush and verify all advise before proceeding.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
frame offs that just end up in a pile in the center of a garage with no chance of being a car again
Those are words of wisdom

I looked at your journal and the car looks really nice, so I "guess" you won't end up with a forgotten project. Just make darn sure you are ready to do this. It takes 4x the time estimate and maybe 3x the costs estimate

If you are the type of person who is not good at sticking to a job of any size, be careful about spending tons of money on certain issues that may not add much value if you can't finish it. Or...if it takes 4 years, don't run out and buy all new rubber w-strips, belts, hoses, etc, that might weathercrack before you finish

Last advice, don't make it TOO nice. A friend redid his rustfree matching number 67 SS396 and now refuses to enjoy it because the underside is as nice as the outside. What a shame
Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

Chevelle Help

Hi,
There's a Chevelle specific forum you can also join that might be able to help more with Chevelle specific items, but nobody more knowledgeable than these guys here for general rodding knowledge.

1. Look for a local club where you can get local hands-on help.

2. Take classes on welding and body work.

3. Keep it running and upgrade and repair it a little at a time.

4. Treat it as a hobby and an opportunity to learn by doing.

5. Don't kill yourself or do stupid things in it. This is a rare and irreplaceable piece of history. Value that fact.

Steve
Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967chevelle454
I'm getting ready to to do a frame off on my 1967 chevelle. I'm 19 and I'm still trying to learn as much as I can! Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Need more details - is this going to be a trailer queen, weekend warrior or daily driver?

You say "frame off" - are you going to be putting it on a rotisserie?

Here's some pictures of my 1968 Chevelle I did when I was your age - no frame off, but I stripped the front end down to the frame, rebuilt the suspension, then stipped the body to bare metal and paint and interior - took over 2 years and even back then (1980 - ouch... )
8-10k to put back on the road.

B4

AFTER

My advice - have your money saved up first and all parts located or in possession to replace - then get started on the restoration, rod or whatever you have in mind.

In the meantime - drive the beast as is and laugh outloud at the tuners and micro cars, who yes ~ may get better mpg, but aren't anywhere as cool as your Chevelle
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That is a very big project..you have gotten some good advice as far as saving up some cash before you start on this..Collecting parts and pieces and giving this a lot of study is a wise move..

Sam
Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM
boatbob2

frame off.......

Hi,first buy a digital camera and a photo printer. take pictures of EVERYTHING before you remove it,. buy 2 or 3 boxes of ziploc bags, and a bunch of magic markers,put the parts in the bags as you remove them.and MARK the bag. if the parts are too big to go in the bag,get some of those plastic(or paper) tags with a string,and write down what the part is,and put it into a strorage place,if its greasy,clean it first. save a bunch of money,figure it will take you at least 2 or 3 times the cost you think,also at least 4 to 5 times as long.dont buy a lot of parts until youre ready to replace them.be careful of the trim,its hard to find cheaply. good luck,find a girlfriend thats into cars. you will need her support. have fun,let us know how the project is coming along
Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,090 Times in 902 Posts
You've gotten expert advice from the others on here. I can only repeat what has been said, with emphasis on clean, bag and tag. Be aware that if you use a paper tag to identify the part(s), they cannot be stored outside in the weather. The tags will self-destruct and you won't have any idea where those particular parts go later on. Ask me how I know.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.