Hot Rod Forum banner

Restoration VS Modify

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  PapaG 
#1 ·
A person comes across an old car. The car is not an extremely valuable car, but is a sought after one. Does this person restore it to its original condition? As there is a certain pleasure is sorting through hundreds of parts, and finally, finding just the right one. And everyone knows that there is something very cool about seeing a car that is completely stock. Nothing too flashy. Nothing too shiny. Just a glimpse back in time, to an era when you could buy a car that was fun, without paying $35K for it. Or does he let his imagination run wild? A little cutting here. A little welding there. Maybe put in an engine that wasn't even thought of yet, when the car was being built. Pretty soon you got tucked bumpers, side exhaust, and TPI on a 40 year old car. And just the sound of the words "matching numbers" brings an ironical, sarcastic smirk to anyone within 20 feet of the car. So how is one to decide what to do? Which one is better? Some people would argue cost has a hand in this decision. But anyone who has priced a collectible set of heads can't argue that buying old stuff can easily exceed the price of even the most potent modern components. So...all this being said. Obviously the answer is: do whatever makes you happy. Right? But then why does HOTROD magazine get emails from people criticizing Dale Earnhardt Jr. about customizing a classic z28 saying "that is a classic, and shouldn't have been so modified"? To get to the point; I'm not writing this segment to hear anyone's simple answer of "do what makes you happy and don't care what anyone says". I want everyone to share their opinion on it through their experiences with their particular cars. Why you went the route you did and what came of it. Now I'm aware that this site is hotrodders.com and not matchingnumbers.com. But hopefully we'll still get both sides of the spectrum. And maybe help us younger generation of hotrodders, motorheads, pack rats, and weekend mechanics decide how to spend our money, time, and passion.

Hammer

See less See more
#2 ·
I had exactly that kind of car come my way..It was a 68 Pontiac Catalina 2dr hdtop and was complete in all particulars even down to having the original hubcaps. Some rust and minor body damage and the interior was worn but cleanable. Something like that would be a good restoration as there would not be a lot of parts chasing to do.. My current project however is a rod with lots of custom work as it was started with not much to start with and would be very long term and the original parts are spendy and hard to find..So maybe that tells the tale as how complete is the car you have to start with.

Lot of those guys in the peanut gallery doing the complaining because we did not do our car their way I have found have never built anything on their own account..Kind of like the monday morning quarterbacks during football season. just ignore them and move on is my way..

Sam

#3 ·
OneMoreTime said:
I had exactly that kind of car come my way..It was a 68 Pontiac Catalina 2dr hdtop and was complete in all particulars even down to having the original hubcaps. Some rust and minor body damage and the interior was worn but cleanable. Something like that would be a good restoration as there would not be a lot of parts chasing to do.. My current project however is a rod with lots of custom work as it was started with not much to start with and would be very long term and the original parts are spendy and hard to find..So maybe that tells the tale as how complete is the car you have to start with.

Lot of those guys in the peanut gallery doing the complaining because we did not do our car their way I have found have never built anything on their own account..Kind of like the monday morning quarterbacks during football season. just ignore them and move on is my way..

Sam
I was going to add my $0.02 until I read this post. This sums up exactly how I feel.

#4 ·
call me a pansy, but I won't do a "correct" car. Every car I own is made to exactly what I want it to be, and so far, none of them has stayed stock.

I don't get into cars that are "classic" or have a high degree of collect-ability, so it never pains me (or anyone else) to modify to my taste.

#5 ·
This is how I see it, it's your car and you can do what you want, AND anyone who wants to knock what you did can do so, it's their opinion and they can do what they want.

The range of "right" ways to build a car is a million miles. What is "right" is not only going to be different from person to person, but from car to car.

If you take a restored 63 Split window fuel injected Vette and make a tubbed pro-street car out of it, you are a moron. And don't think this can't happen, I saw it about 20 years ago. A full on restored car, the dude could buy it because he had a load of money. Be bought it and made a blown motor tubbed pro-streeter. He is in my opinion, my OPINION, a MORON. Now, if he doesn't like that I call him a MORON, sorry, that is my right to call him a MORON.

There is another factor to think about, does the cars owner KNOW the "right" thing to do with that car? If you were to keep quiet while you watched your neighbor cut up his late fathers 69 Z/28 not knowing what it was would be wrong. Just because it is "his car" to "let" him do that without making real clear that this was a special car and not to destroy it would be wrong.

Sometimes what someone has always dreamed is just that, a lame dream. If a respected friend were to say "You know, that looks like crap" and the guy re-thinks it and ends up with a much better car and much happier, I say you did the right thing.

I have heard people say stuff about my cars all my life, I have always liked kinda "odd" stuff and I have heard it often, I have never let it bother me one bit. It is just people talking and if you let it BOTHER you, you need to spend time on a therapists couch and less time building cars.

Brian

#6 ·
MARTINSR said:
There is another factor to think about, does the cars owner KNOW the "right" thing to do with that car? If you were to keep quiet while you watched your neighbor cut up his late fathers 69 Z/28 not knowing what it was would be wrong. Just because it is "his car" to "let" him do that without making real clear that this was a special car and not to destroy it would be wrong.

Brian
I think Brian hits it right on the head. I'd do my best to help the guy make an INFORMED decision, but after that it's down to my opinion and his car.

#7 ·
I use to go to car shows quite often being proud of my 69 Charger RT 440 magnum. The only thing i ever done to the car was remove the back seat and to my suprise i found the broadcast sheet. I bought the car at an auction (krause ) . Being that this was a numbers matching car, with the broadcast sheet in hand, there was allways some idiot telling other people my car wasnt a true RT. I didnt have the sticker that wraps around the deck lid and rear quarters, the person would say. I often would pull out the broadcast sheet and have to show them the rear sticker was deleted. Yes i know i could have put the bc sheet on the dash or taped to the window. I guess what im trying to say is, from my expirence, there was allways someone who scrutanized my car from being a ( matching numbers car ). Not that the car was a cool all original car, with the original dog dish hubcaps, or that this 69 Rt had power seats, ac, power windows and an 8 trac player, it was allways what they thought the car should not have had. My present car is a 72 split bumper camaro, it was a base camaro purchased from Arizonia 6 years ago, being that its a base camaro , i went ahead and customed it to what i want. If it was a z28, or ss, i would have left it alone but it was a base model and thats what i wanted to make a resto-mod. My 67 notch back barracuda will be heavily modified also. I guess what im saying is , you cant please everyone, so please yourself. P.S i hope i didnt ramble too much .

#8 ·
Cars is cars. I've been both ways in my life, modified and restored. I had fun with both. I look at it this way. Showing sucks. They're built to drive and I would have no compunctions about making a mint 63 splitwindow into a groundpounder if that's what it took to make it fun. In reality, the cars are just a pile of metal that have no real value other than the fun aspect.
If you don't believe that, let me ask this question. If you haven't eated in 5 days and you find a dollar and 63s are selling for a buck, what are you going to buy, food or a car?
So what I am saying is do what turns your crank, because tomorrow that carefully restored right down to the proper amount of overspray on the frame and correct inspection stamps with the skipped factory stich in the right rear passenger seat may become your DD till it runs out of gas.

#9 ·
crystalbluevib said:
I use to go to car shows quite often being proud of my 69 Charger RT 440 magnum. The only thing i ever done to the car was remove the back seat and to my suprise i found the broadcast sheet. I bought the car at an auction (krause ) . Being that this was a numbers matching car, with the broadcast sheet in hand, there was allways some idiot telling other people my car wasnt a true RT. I didnt have the sticker that wraps around the deck lid and rear quarters, the person would say. I often would pull out the broadcast sheet and have to show them the rear sticker was deleted. Yes i know i could have put the bc sheet on the dash or taped to the window. I guess what im trying to say is, from my expirence, there was allways someone who scrutanized my car from being a ( matching numbers car ). Not that the car was a cool all original car, with the original dog dish hubcaps, or that this 69 Rt had power seats, ac, power windows and an 8 trac player, it was allways what they thought the car should not have had. My present car is a 72 split bumper camaro, it was a base camaro purchased from Arizonia 6 years ago, being that its a base camaro , i went ahead and customed it to what i want. If it was a z28, or ss, i would have left it alone but it was a base model and thats what i wanted to make a resto-mod. My 67 notch back barracuda will be heavily modified also. I guess what im saying is , you cant please everyone, so please yourself. P.S i hope i didnt ramble too much .
My brother had a 39 Ford standard and would have people tell him it was a 38 all the time. After he explained it all being a standard and all this they would talk away saying to their friend "It's still a 38". :)

I just laugh about it and go on with life.

Brian

#10 ·
61bone said:
Cars is cars. I've been both ways in my life, modified and restored. I had fun with both. I look at it this way. Showing sucks. They're built to drive and I would have no compunctions about making a mint 63 splitwindow into a groundpounder if that's what it took to make it fun. In reality, the cars are just a pile of metal that have no real value other than the fun aspect.
If you don't believe that, let me ask this question. If you haven't eated in 5 days and you find a dollar and 63s are selling for a buck, what are you going to buy, food or a car?
So what I am saying is do what turns your crank, because tomorrow that carefully restored right down to the proper amount of overspray on the frame and correct inspection stamps with the skipped factory stich in the right rear passenger seat may become your DD till it runs out of gas.
I am going to buy the 63...resale it and eat for a few years.

#12 ·
Me, myself; I would buy the 63 and starve to death. But die a very happy man, nonetheless. And I also can relate to those "nah dude, I know what I'm talking about" discussions with people about the car they know SOO much about. I met a guy a few years back who's dad owned a 63 split window(ironically enough). He was telling me all about it. How it was a matching numbers car. So sweet; this, that, and the other. Then he said something about a big block and a 427(which made the theme music record, in my head, screech to silence). So of course I politely informed him that he was mistaken about it being a matching numbers car. That 63's only had 327s and that the big blocks didn't come out til 65, and even then, there was no 427. And as you can imagine, he got quite confused(which turned into becoming quite defensive). He told me there was "no way" I was right. Only to apologize later after speaking with his father. And don't get me wrong. I'm no expert. But if someone tells me I'm wrong and I don't necessarily agree. I'll at least give them the courtesy of saying, "you might be right". And then go look it up later. Some people...

#13 ·
I deal with cars going thru the restoration phase , alot of money involved in making some cars perfect as it came from the factory , I have also been called a blasphomist for taking a 81 Trans am t-top SE and cutting it up to make drag car out of it ( the car was in such poor shape it would have been scrapped) when I had my Dodges I had 4 at onetime , One a GSS Demon which was rare, but I drove it everyday , and 3 stockers( 2 which where 225's ) when I decided to convert one of the dueces to a RB powered car ( 63 413 with a pushbutton trans ) I was criticised , but not by the guys in my club they thought it was neat , but by spectators , the car wasn't worth that much to begin with ( I paid $250 for it with a knocking 230K mile drivetrain in it) and I turned it into car that looked like it came from Old main that way , most of the people I have trouble with are the mid life crisis types or the older baby boomer crowds , they always whine about something or know it all , and there cars only see the street to go try to out jones someone else at the car shows and half of the idiots don't know anything about there cars except they cost alot ( several of them paid too much ) , I build mine to drive and are built to my specs . if its yours Build it the way you want to , you own it , and it will make you Happy , and its only worth s much as you feel it is . I have several cars I will not sell they are not worth much on the market but they are worth alot to me as I built them , and they make me happy to drive .

#14 ·
HammerGVette said:
Me, myself; I would buy the 63 and starve to death. But die a very happy man, nonetheless. And I also can relate to those "nah dude, I know what I'm talking about" discussions with people about the car they know SOO much about. I met a guy a few years back who's dad owned a 63 split window(ironically enough). He was telling me all about it. How it was a matching numbers car. So sweet; this, that, and the other. Then he said something about a big block and a 427(which made the theme music record, in my head, screech to silence). So of course I politely informed him that he was mistaken about it being a matching numbers car. That 63's only had 327s and that the big blocks didn't come out til 65, and even then, there was no 427. And as you can imagine, he got quite confused(which turned into becoming quite defensive). He told me there was "no way" I was right. Only to apologize later after speaking with his father. And don't get me wrong. I'm no expert. But if someone tells me I'm wrong and I don't necessarily agree. I'll at least give them the courtesy of saying, "you might be right". And then go look it up later. Some people...
Yeah, I had a co-worker bragging about restoring a "Late 63" that was super rare because it didn't have the split rear window. :mwink:

Brian

#15 ·
I guess that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I agree with brian (the other brian), that a numbers matching "rare" vehicle should probably be restored or sold to a collector for good bucks and buy some other car that provides a good solid base for whatever it is that you want to make of it. I would concur with the "moron" description and would personally weep to see someone defile something that has managed to survive relatively intact for so many years. Respect it and leave it alone, There are enough still around that you can cut,chop, channel .... into what you see in your mind.

#16 ·
I have two rare cars, and a couple kinda rare ones. One of the rare ones is a 1 of 276 455 HO Formula and its a factory freak with no paint code and some strange special order options. Will it get a full on restoration with chalk marks and date coded hose clamps? No. Will it be a nice ride and get driven? Hell yes. Why own an HO and not drive it? Finding all the unique HO parts just for the missing AC system costs more than I want to think about. So it will get less rare modified parts that will work. I dont give a rats *** about correct from the factory, but I do know the value of something you dont see every day. Would I cut it up and make a drag car out of it? No.

Even the 65 GTO I am doing right now wont be to stock specs, it is being built to be driven by my 64 yr old father in law, not to sit in a heated garage somewhere and get dusted weekly. He wouldnt drive a stock one with drum brakes, and manual steering more than once or twice, so its getting a bunch of good parts to make it nicer and safer to drive or ride in. It started out as a severely rusted bare shell, so its not like I am violating a complete # matching tri power car or a Judge or something.

The factory makes the canvas for us, what they did was rather arbitrary in the big scheme of things. There is no law that says we cant do whatever we want with these cars (unless you live in California/New Jersey/etc) and if you want to stuff a pos 350 sbc in where a RAIV or SD 421/455 was, well I will shake my head and walk away after I ask where the RA/SD is sitting and how much you want for it, but in the end it doesnt really affect me much. Sure I will deride you for putting the pos in there but only because its a HUGE downgrade, not because it isnt correct.

#17 ·
I get a kick out of folks telling other folks they screwed up a "classic" car. Camaros are NOT classic cars or will they ever be classic cars. Collectible, yes, in the eyes of some state licensing agency (DMV), yes. Camaros were built on an assembly line, there are a butt load of them out there, who cares? Now if you were to modify a hand-built true-classic of, say the 30's, I would scratch my head, figure you've got too much money, and go on my way. On the other hand, I have yet to see a bone stock model A that is worth as much as a nicely rodded model A. I don't believe I could own a bone stock 55 Chevy, they just didn't have what I would like to have in a car, good brakes, performance, tires and wheels, etc. I do like the the looks of a stock appearing car on the outside, there aren't too many body mods you can do to 55-57 Chevy's that will improve the looks. Some cars beg for modifying, some don't, to each his own.

#18 ·
dinger said:
I get a kick out of folks telling other folks they screwed up a "classic" car. Camaros are NOT classic cars or will they ever be classic cars. Collectible, yes, in the eyes of some state licensing agency (DMV), yes. Camaros were built on an assembly line, there are a butt load of them out there, who cares? Now if you were to modify a hand-built true-classic of, say the 30's, I would scratch my head, figure you've got too much money, and go on my way. On the other hand, I have yet to see a bone stock model A that is worth as much as a nicely rodded model A. I don't believe I could own a bone stock 55 Chevy, they just didn't have what I would like to have in a car, good brakes, performance, tires and wheels, etc. I do like the the looks of a stock appearing car on the outside, there aren't too many body mods you can do to 55-57 Chevy's that will improve the looks. Some cars beg for modifying, some don't, to each his own.
Dan, I am miles from a Camaro nut, I owned one years ago and have no desire what so ever to own one again. However, there is a Camaro and there is a Camaro. A 67 Z/28 isn't "just a Camaro" a restored nice car is worth darn near what my house is! My buddy sold his basic case motor missing 69 Z for $22K a number of years ago.

The biggest thing that drives prices is who has the money and memories. Memories of Model A's? Those guys are not in the prime with tons of money, they are dieing off in their 80's. The price of stock Model A's went down years ago as the younger folks with memories of hot rodded model A's from their youth came into money in their 40's and started buying them.

Same thing with Muscle cars, when people with the memories and the money came together they drove the price up.

How about "Just a 57 Chevy"? A Fuel injected "Black widow" worth about a quarter a million dollars!

If it had the roof cut off and an a hemi installed in 1970 no one would have thought at thing. :)

Brian

#19 ·
hammer,
unless the car you are considering has next to no miles on it and stored in a warehouse for 40 years slim chance to none it is still all original...

I've kept in mind that the next owner may want my car all original correct (65 fastback) so I have kept/stored all the original parts and not done any major mod's that would be a major expense and PITA to change...

reality is 99 out of 100 folks don't even know what year it is much less is it all original,,,they just see a really "purdy" car...
the purist's can see immediately both what and why I did changes and none have ever been critical...

unless it is a extremely low total production rare car options combo (factory hot rod) that belongs in a museum it ain't that special....
we have done some that are rare cars,,,it is it's own challenging type of fun and reward to build...

#20 ·
I have dealt with this for..oh..37 years now.

My XK120S Jaguar was ordered as a racer. It is an S model..but also had C Type head..Powerlock/Salisbury(Dana) diff..7/8th torsion bars. I had just a windscreen..no windshield. Pretty rare..but a warhorse.
It was raced like that until 1957 when it was converted to SBC..
It raced with Chevy power until 1969-70/
I bought it in 1973.

I have restored several 120s, 150s and E Types..but this one was special to me.

I had to decide..
I didn't seem right to deny what this car was..a C Modified racer most it's life..so..
I brought back as if it was put on the street after is war years..SBC..done late 60s period mostly..Camel humps..T-10..etc.

I get the "Why would you do that?".." It would be worth $XXX more if.."
And sometimes

"YOU RUINED IT"

Yeah..and I did it just for you..

This car has been with me most of my adult life..it's been modified most it's life..and we'll be together until I die..
It's no show car..we drive, It has chips and nicks..and earned every one..we are alike.

If it's the car of your life..it should be you..
I just came in from another great day..that car and me are really one thing..after all the years..and all the work..and joy..

The other people just don't matter..
Especially out there..on the road..50 miles from town..re living every year..just us..

#21 ·
I have a 1 owner '67 GT fstback "S" code mustang, I've been through my teenage years and beyond with this one and have no idea how it will be rebuilt the next time it gets done. Is it worth a bunch of $'s original? Yep sure is, but it hasn't been stock since the 80's so it'll be built for fun and safety the next time as well. But you can be sure when it's done again it'll see it's share of WOT blasts and such, my trailer is for hauling tractors and farm equipment :D .

So I guess my theory would be build to enjoy unless your trying to turn a profit on the vehicle in question, if so then good luck!!!

#22 ·
When I buy a car, I know what I want. If it is not the way I want it, then I make it the way I want it. That numbers matching crap doesn't mean much to me. I don't care about resale value, I never plan to sell it anyways. Besides, when I build something, more than likely the way I build it is the way most people would want it anyways.

Who REALLY wants to deal with points type ignition systems, 4 wheel drum brakes, manual steering and brakes, no AC, crappy old carburetors, non overdriven transmissions, AM radios etc etc etc. If you truly want something like that, you really have more money than brains in my opinion. More power to people of these types, but you wont catch me with one of those.

Often times you can modify something to look damn near original and 99% of people looking at it wont know the difference. The vehicle will look and perform 100x better than new and in my opinion is worth more. Personally I'll pay you more with it modernized and upgraded than I will for your old technology on wheels. Maybe it was fine in its day, but its not in todays world. Perhaps you'd like to have gas guzzler that you are uncomfortable in that cant stop worth anything, has no get up and go and doesn't handle worth a damn, but I don't want that.

I want my cake and eat it too. Give me an old car thats been modernized. Atleast its not something that looks like every other car on the road. Its special and has some character but still has the features of a newer vehicle. I don't need ABS, traction control, GPS system, TV and DVD player in the dash, blah blah blah.

Now for an example, I have three ford pintos. 74, 76, and 79. Front disc rear drum. No overdrive, AC, PS, PB, locks windows etc etc etc. I don't have to have power windows or locks and don't plan to add them to these cars. I do plan to add fuel injected and turbocharged 2.3L SOHC engine (direct bolt in of the original engine which is also a 2.3, but an older carbureted and non turbo version) with a 5 speed (with OD) transmission, air conditioning, power steering, sway bars front and rear, 4 wheel disc brakes, CD player, etc etc.

Still relatively simple, yet comfortable and nice to drive. Great power, fuel mileage, and even tho its a matter of opinion and perhaps i'm also biased, still is a good looking car. Unique, not something you see every single day.

Thats what I want, and what most of you want too. How many of you have none of the above in your daily driver? And how many of you wont buy a car that has those things? How many of you don't enjoy those things?

Those are the things that truly bring value to a car.

I also wont own a car i cant legally drive on the road every day. That means no dedicated race cars.

I have a 79 C-10 Chevy with a 3/4 suspension under it. Originally had a 250 inline six with a 3 on the tree manual trans. Now it has a 454 with a TH400 (with column shifter, job was done right, I didn't just cut a hole in the floor and install a floor shifter. Column was swapped as were the pedals. The only evidence that it was ever equipped with a manual transmission is the hole in the sheet metal of the floor where the clutch pedal went through. That hasn't been fixed yet)

Engine and trans are from a 78. Cant tell by looking at it that it wasn't original. It has a 14 bolt axle, with 4.10s. AC. all that. 700r4 or 4L80E is in the works soon. I have added the sway bars, already have power steering, rear disc brakes is in the works also. It is still a project truck, but its still drive-able and comfortable. Since its a gas hog, its not driven every day, but it can be if i so choose. It is used for towing (used a few times a week in the spring, summer, and fall but rarely in the winter)

So anyways, thats my story and my opinion. Hope I didn't offend anyone, but opinions are opinions and even if you don't want to admit it, many of you feel the same way I do.

#23 ·
Torque454,
I totally agree and was too tired to type that all out....

the first stang's are just a "econobox" Falcon under the skin and were engineered/designed to sell cheap for mass market appeal...
(sold 1M by the end of 66')

the first vettes are just a fiberglas body on a sedan frame and yuch motor/tranny/drive train...

the first goats are just "bolt on's" for performance on a family car design (to get around the GM racing ban at the time)

etc/etc/etc

common denominator:
they were all just marketing campaigns to sell more cars,,,they didn't do anything better than any other car (except burn rubber) except "look" different...

there are very few thru all the years that were totally "done right" based on engineered design...

#24 ·
I have done a few "classics". Some were all original and some not. My personal rule has always been, "Do it anyway you want, but try to keep it so the next owner has the option to bring it back to original". If you replace something on the vehicle that is a "modification' from the original, such as different seats, save the original ones. If you change to a different engine, save the old one. I'm just saying that this is a way to give the next owner the option to have the car the way HE may want it.

I've seen a lot of nice cars that were "butchered", but still looked good. Not something I would do, but it ain't my car, so it ain't my turkey to cook.

Regardless of what I think, or anyone else for that matter, your car is your car. It's your dream. Like myself, you probably spent years looking for it and saving hard earned money to buy it. I'll bet you got a great deal when you finally found it. You got there first with the bucks and now it's finally yours. Your dream is coming true as you start to build it the way you always wanted to. You will never truly fulfill that dream if you build it based on what other people like.

That's just my opinion. I think it's great that we all have different ideas. Many of those ideas are shared on this site. That's what makes it so much fun to come here.

Chris

#25 ·
What ever turns your crank. What ever floats your boat. Probably sums up all the preceding posts. My 36 Ford coupe was my first car, purchased from the original owner and driven and maintained original until a busted piston required attention. Found and installed a worn out 36 motor and continued the "original" theme until I could install hydraulic brakes. Yep, I survived many miles on mechanical brakes in a hydraulic era but got tired of the weekly adjusting of steel rods that could never seem to deliver the same braking action to the wheels when called upon. Later the worn out 36 replacement motor was replaced with a brand new in the crate 48 flat head and the 4.11 rear end was replaced with a 3.78 and the wiring was removed and re-done one wire at a time and the oil soaked, worn out head light switch at the end of the steering sector was replaced with an in dash switch. The interior was replaced and the milkey glass was replace, knee action shocks were replaced with tube types. Finally, I said enough is enough. I enjoy driving the old car so forget ever thinking restoration/originality. So a street rod was born, alive, well and still ticking. It is worth more today as a street rod than had it been maintained in it restored original condition. The theme I have used for years in building street rods is to keep the exterior as original appearance as possible while building a peppy, quiet, good handling driving machine.

Having said all this, I recently acquired a Corvair convertible that I owned years ago. It is fully restored and as close to numbers matching as you can get (body, doors, drive train are original) and most all parts are New, Old Stock. I bought the car unfinished with all the parts it took to finish it. I paid the going rate for it and have a better than show room new car sitting around taking up space. I love to drive it, but if I do much of it, the value will go down much like I had just purchased new from a dealer and drove it off the show room floor. Naah, I am not much into the restoration/numbers matching game. Color me "Find 'em, build 'em, drive 'em" crowd that most of us are in.

Trees

#26 ·
My problem is with the cars that are "restored" with different engines and a lot other things changed... The people think they are worth the world.... And now the tribute cars, do not even start me on those. A 65 GTO wagon is cool, but not worth $50k

They are yours. Updates are great for things you drive... Just keep the original stuff if you can or sell it. One way may be worth more that the others.

A 1st gen Camaro that has had the 10 bolt rear-end changed for a 12 bolt is no longer original but could be better, your car. I would not have a problem with doing that, or a 9" Ford.

Do not jack with a Hemi Cuda Convertible. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.