Restore or Chop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Restore or Chop

Ok, so I got my car home finally (1926 Ford Tudor)... I'm sorry I didn't post pictures but I was so excited. Anyway I have a bit of a problem... the car.. as is, is in AMAZING condition. There is only a bit of rust under the back seat and behind the drivers back tire. Engine works great the wood spoke wheels are not rotted just need some sanding and new paint. Same w/ the floor boards they are all there no rot or nuttin. Other then just sand blasting and repainting the surfaces it couldn't be in better shape. Now my problem is everyone telling me to restore it but I don't want too.. yet I feel guilty about choppin' it. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, it even has the original tools that came w/ it, the jack, and the original owners manual... not the reproduced ones. Plus there are a bunch of extra parts, spare coils, wipers, trim, extra handles, 6 white wall tires still in plastic (no dry rot)... it was a steal! It was quite a find and a great buy. You see my dilema I hope.

Any input will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I was having the same problems with my 1931 Ford Model A 5 window Tudor. It's in very good shape and all the parts are there to have a very nice original driver. Everybody says to put it back stock. Thats not why I bought it, I want a street rod, the only one on my side is my wife (thats a change for once). Family members and friends say leave it be in stock form. It took me about 3 months of looking and thinking about this and I decided that I want to drive the car on the road as a driver not as a parade car. What is the top Safe speed of these cars 35-45 MPH. So that is what made me say screw the rest it my car, I will have a street rod. Starting to collect parts to start this Street Rod project this winter. I say do what YOU like and forget the rest!!! It's your car. Hope this helps
You could sell all the other parts and recoup the cost of the car if you like. thats what I plan on doing.

Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Well, my other situation is that if I can find someone who wants to restore it I will sell it to them, pay off some stuff and then find somthing I really want. The Tudor was like my 3rd choice for what I originally wanted to do anyway. Damn this decision making sucks! haha
Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM

Chop or not

Hey, it`s your nickle,do what you really want. A good resto costs a lot as does street rodding it. Fun factor....... do you really want to chug around in something that is slow but not safe doing it. Investment factor, neither way is a real good investment.I have never looked at a rod as an investment,I enjoy building them,driving them. Even a high priced rod never sells for what the owner has in it,mostly labor. Jerry
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T
...if I can find someone who wants to restore it I will sell it to them, pay off some stuff and then find somthing I really want.
That sounds like a good plan. At least you can try that route and you're not out anything. Put it up for sale and if you can make a few bucks on it and still have the money to by a street rod project body...everybody wins. Somebody gets a nice antique and you get the street rod material at the price you want. I'm no restoration fanatic, but sometimes it is a shame to see a collector get cut up. Even when the eventual street rod turns out to be a beauty.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I'm no restoration fanatic, but sometimes it is a shame to see a collector get cut up. Even when the eventual street rod turns out to be a beauty.
Thats exactly what I said to myself; on a side note, this is the same type of car my grandparents had when my dad was younger... and when my dad found out I didn't want to restore it he got a bit sad about it. I would always feel that bit of regret if I chop it. Maybe selling and regaining my money to get somthing I want isn't such a bad idea. Maybe I can make a few bucks on it and go from there.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:48 PM

Hey guys, just curious, how much do you think I could get for the '26 Tudor? I have almost all of the tools it came w/, the original owners manual, and all the body pieces. The only thing someone would need is to go out and find nuts and bolts and that sorta stuff. And yes like I said before the wood spoke wheels and the floor boards are in GREAT condition.

Sorta like putting together a big Lego set. haha

Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Rookie Builder....

Last journal entry: Getting Started...

Man its your whip and only you can decide what you wanna do with it....i would chop it up ..... stock sucks.... especially when its that old.....
Old 06-15-2005, 10:01 AM
GothRod87

Id resell it .....from the sounds of it that thing could be worth alot to a car museum..being that original....id say sell it and buy something thats not that rare and not that valuable...a merc or an old chevy be cool..but thats my opinion,
GOTH
Old 06-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Restore the body and interior to close to stock, box the frame and update the brakes, suspension and running gear with a late model V-6 that will fit under the stock hood. Put 16" painted wire wheels with big 'n' littles on it and drop it so the fenders are right down on the tires and drive the wheels off it. Just an idea.........
Old 06-15-2005, 12:01 PM

As said it's your's so make your dream ride. I would not want something that was not fun to drive so a stock '26 hold no appeal. I would make it into something that looked stock but was up to date if you follow me. But then again not mine!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Helps alot. I think I might sell it and get somthing I really want. I know a few people who love restoring old cars so maybe I'll give them a call and see if they want to buy it. Thanks again guys.

How much do you think I could probably get for it? Rough figure say. Just incase someone wants it I can give them a fair price. $5-$6k area?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T
How much do you think I could probably get for it?
I think you'll find most folks on this forum hesitant to appraise the value of your car without a) seeing it in person and b) having ample time to inspect every aspect of the car. There are a number of resources you can use to narrow down your price range including Hemmings as well as a large number of web sites that have similar cars in their classifieds. It will take a good bit of research on your part but you can then offer the car at a price you will feel confident about. We can throw all sorts of numbers at you but they would all be pretty meaningless without doing that same sort of research.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you get it for? If you keep it and look for another project, and store the T a few years it'll be worth even more.

Mike
Old 06-15-2005, 03:57 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

if you want a custom ride you can buy a custom kit just like that guy ....you know hes got a show... on tv...build a model...no.. um oh yea American hot rod
its a lot harder to go original and if its as nice as you say well i wouldn't cut er up i guess working in the bone yards for so long ive seen lots of classics go to there death so call me a CAR HUGGER
but remember ill crush a Toyota in a heart beat noooo problem i would imagine there isn't too many of them still around?
but they are right its up to you

i love them all but i believe that i would leave it el natural when they get in real bad shape then i would go wild let us know what you decide

PS has any one ever used the term "car hugger" before?

sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.