Restoring my doors. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Restoring my doors.

Hello, how's everyone these days?

I've a few questions regarding general door dis-assembly. I am a newb to restoration and need all the help I can get.

I'm about to restore my first door ever. I will need to replace the door handles, door glass, and all weatherstripping on a 69' Elcamino.

- How do I remove the door glass from the channel?
- How do I remove the door locking mechanism?
- Any tricks or tips? Keep windows rolled down, doors unlocked, etc?

I've looked for a few days for info on this, but I can't find very much direct info, search buttons bring up every related article you can imagine.

A big thanks,

Micholi.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like you need a copy of the GM Chassis Service Manual or maybe a Assembly Manual. Check Ebay or one of the manual dealers like Factoryautomanuals.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

RE:restoring doors

Hi being in B.C go to Canadian Tire or any other parts store and get the haynes manual ($20) its not the greatest but it will work, now the window will have to be in a spot to get at the 2 bolts that release the glass from the channel undo and pull it out, then after glass is out you'll be able to get at the door handles, 2 small bolts back inside door, ofcourse take the linkage of first before you remove handle, there is a little clip holding it on, side clip and and pull linkage, for door locks its pretty much same remove linkage and remove bolts, weather stripping on door is held on by little clips, hard to explain that one. hope it helps TROY
Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Thanks TROY, lots of good info there to start with. I appreciate it.

There's a lot a manual cannot tell you that experience can.

I've been putting off the purchase of a manual because tools and sheetmetal have been the most important aspect of my build, up until now I that. Time to sacrfice some more money to ebay!

In the mean time, I'd still like to be work on my doors, the passenger side is laying on my kitchen table on top of a foam camping pad, lol. I want to work on it now! Tick tock, Tick tock.

Any additional info is thanks.

Micholi.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

RE:restoring doors

Hi Micholi l'm not sure of what your looking for on ebay for that car, but if your close to Vancouver l'd phone up Probody for parts, they are pretty good prices and they'll ship it to your door for free if your in the lower mainland, as far as looking up the parts,or understanding the workings of your door go to Yearone on the net, an it will have a pic with all the parts inside. l hope that work for ya TROY
Old 02-24-2008, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

The first step is to guage the damage. All of these old doors have rust in the lower seam to varying degrees and you'll need to look that area over and determine if the corrosion is minimal requiring external cleanup and internal treatment or if it is beyond restoration and will require a skin replacement. Is the seam rusted to a point that it is bulging-requiring a replacement skin? Also is there any signs of previous repairs? Look the seam over good and if it's not rusted to the point that it's bulging or rusted through you can feel comfortable at this point and proceed with restoration. Strip the door of all it's old paint and primer, sandblasting the jamb area works the best and the exterior can be stripped with chemical stripper and sanding or just sanding. Don't sandblast the exterior. Or, if there is a media blasting facility in your area they could handle the cleanup at usually a very economical price. After the stripping is completed you can then do any metalwork needed and prep it for primer.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
In the mean time, I'd still like to be work on my doors, the passenger side is laying on my kitchen table on top of a foam camping pad, lol. I want to work on it now! Tick tock, Tick tock.
They go together just as they come apart. Just use some common sense when dismantling. And if you have a digital camera, it will very soon become your friend. Take pics of what things look like before you tear into them. Bag-it and tag-it. A box of Ziplock Baggies and a magic marker is invaluable when dismantling items. If you are removing the ventglass, then put all of the screws, nuts, etc. into the bag marked "Ventglass assembly" Just go from there. After everything is dismantled, bagged and tagged, and pics taken, then it is time for bodywork. But that's tomorrow. LOL!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM

Woot, more feedback. Thanks all.

It's my intention to take them in for blasting/primer. Each door has only a small rust hole on the bottom corner(s) that will be welded. I need the glass out so I can clean it, and the door dissasembled so i can start restoring them. On that note, another question...

- The trim mounts that are attached to the skin of the door, can I just grind those down carefully and putty over them? Or should I completely remove them by grinding/drilling & then patchwelding over the holes?

The skins are in good order to be repaired. I was afraid welding may warp the metal.

Thanks again,

Micholi.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.