Hot Rod Forum banner

Restoring an old Coats 2020 tire machine - ideeas please

18K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ifor5 
#1 ·
Hello everybody

Im in the process of restoring on old centerpost Coats 20 20 tire machine i bought (in rough looking shape) from Craigslist for $140. Im going to be keeping this machine permanently in my garage, and i would like to make it look as nice and as original as possible (so far everyone that sees it, has memories about working with one at some point in time, in one shop or another).

Mechanically - the machine now works A-1. Rebuilt the valves, changed seals, fittings, hoses, etc... The machine works flawlessly. It'll peel off even the most stubborn tires. The cover panels have been patched up, new steel welded in place of the rotted out sections, and all the dents are hammered out, just waiting for warmer weather to hit them with some black and red paint.

Now, the problem: on the lower shovel (bead breaker) side, theres a lid that has an opening, through which a 3.75" air pressure gauge is installed. The gauge reads 0-60 psi, and it is for the tire air inflator. Ait pressure to the gauge and air chuck is contoleed by a foot pedal. My gauge is completely busted. Thats how i got the machine. The only part i was able to salvage from the gauge assemly was the actual gauge housing that mounts flush to the lid and is secured in place by two tabs and two nuts. Im having a hard time finding a 3 3/4 " air pressure gauge to mount in there. I found a few direct replacements for this setup for $70 a piece + shipping (i think thats ridiculous). Anybody have any ideeas on what i could use?

Thanks.

P.S. the pictured gauge is from the same model machine, only somebody else's i found on the internet.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.