Restoring Underside of '62 Impala - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2003, 10:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Restoring Underside of '62 Impala

I am in the process of finishing the underside of my '62 Impala. I want to restore the underside(the bottom of the floorpans and the trunk area) to as close to as original as I can. I have seen other Impalas left in rust red primer, painted the same color as the body, or either painted semi-gloss black. If anyone can tell me what the underside of the '62 Impala looked like when it left the factory, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for your help, Mike Dwyer

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey JTHB...check this site, www.chevytalk.com and scroll down until you get to the '61-'64 Fullsize and ask those guys. I imagine depending on where the car was manufactured depends on the underneath. Same as where they were manufactured depends on the frame that came with the. If you get a chance shoot me a couple of pics as what you got. I'm in the process of getting my '62 all welded up now. I already have the new floor pans in but getting the fender patches in now. I think I am going to use spray in bedliner underneath to insure everything is waterproof. With that you won't have to worry about rock chips tearing it up. But that's me. When I get it back together I am going to drive it so I kind of want it to be bulletproof in the underneath / wheelwell area.

Kevin
Old 01-27-2006, 10:05 AM

Hey Mike...I think I have to agree with Kevin. The underside of mine is all grey, but, my car has lived on gravel for most of its life, so I am not sure. I do know that the firewall, is usually painted the same color as the car. Sometimes I thought that they "dipped" the whole car in the "paint can", but maybe that was on earlier cars? Sorry, not much help. I have some fairly big ideas for my 62. A dual quad 327, air conditioning, power steering(which I already had on the car) power brakes with discs up front, 700R4 tranny, and a 3.73 posi(already had that too) and a coil-over added to the original rear end...So as you see, I have quite a project of my own. Let me know how you guys rides turn out. Tee-Roy

Last edited by ovrxpoz; 01-27-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

I think this generation of chev had a chassis black frame and the underside of the body was a red oxide primer color. I usually sandblast the frame, coat with black epoxy primer, apply black feathfill G2 on any areas where there is pitting, sand till the pitts are smoothed, apply two more coats of black epoxy, scuff/sand, then apply two-three coats of chassis black. The Frames look top notch when done this way and any chipping down the road won't show up because the coatings are all black in color. The underside of the tub can be blasted then epoxied, primer surfacer, sanded, then coat with a singlestage urethane in the right color to match the original primer color with flattener added to reduce the gloss. It will last forever, Bob
Old 01-27-2006, 09:53 PM
ASE Master but no genius

62 Chevy

My aunt's 62 Impala was white with a greyish appearing underside color. It was a Southern car, so there was no undercoating. Although the northern cars mostly had undercoating (dark grey) which most of the time was done at the dealer before customer delivery. Back to my aunt's car. I don't know what percentage of cars were paint-dipped and/or spray-painted back then, but her Impala had overspray on the areas near the rockers and some on the frame rails and some extending beyond the frame. And no, it hadn't been repainted. Some old-timers will tell you this was very very common. So how original do you want to be.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.