Hot Rod Forum banner

Resurrecting 1929 Ford Roadster

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Gunnyrs0321 
#1 ·
My dad left me a 1929 Ford Roadster he and my uncle home-built from anything they could find and raced it. The roadster was almost completely disassembled with intentions of a complete rebuild that never happened. With about 85% of the parts found, its time to put it all back together. Problem: Not knowing how it all goes back together and what do about missing parts that weren't original anyway.

As most projects, this ones a strict budget. Not going for a fancy paint job or rims, just trying to get it moving under its own power and street safe. It will be strictly a cruiser. No racing.

With this being my first build, what would be the first steps? Getting a rolling frame with the engine set? No trunk or floor pans; use plywood? Still have the rear end that has been sitting for about 30 years; don't know if differential is any good but is was once part the car. Not sure how to attach the body onto the frame as most everything appears to have been welded on instead of bolted. I have a good solid 327 engine and a 700r and TH350 trans that would work. No driveshaft. So I need to find one the right length. How to measure this and what is out there from a late or early model car or truck that would work?

Any advice, articles to read, or books to get would be helpful. I haven't found any sources that would truly start a build like this at the ground level and work up to something mechanically drivable. I have knowledgable friends that would help but don't want them to feel like they are doing it all for me. Rat rods are out there and they seem to be fairly straight forward for get something moving but the devil is in the details and that is where I am now. Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
OK well you certainly have your work cut out for you, but all of us had to start someplace and sometime. A 29 Roadster is as good of a place as any.

yes I would concentrate on the chassis in the beginning. If the rear end you have is the old Banjo rear end that would be a place to start. These old rear ends were not the strongest in the world --Strike one-- they all came with a torque tube and an enclosed drive shaft ( strike two). Now these can be converted to an open drive line, you will never get the torque tube adapted to that TH350 or 700r tranny ( strike three), but that is a little money. Your best bet would be to find a usable rear end out another car. All that is if it is in fact a old original rear end. tell us what you have maybe a picture.

As to the drive shaft. You are going to end up with a pretty short driveshaft in that roadster. You can forget finding one that will work as is, that is just not going to happen. Modifying and existing driveshaft is a simple thing to have done and is not to expensive. There are going to be some things you just have to spend a little money on, the driveshaft is one of those things.

Post some pictures of what you have and maybe then we can get you started in the right direction.

#5 ·
Here are some pics of the 29 Ford roadster. These are some random shots of the car in storage. Frame, front suspension and most everything was originally with the car when it was put together. Doubtful if I will us the block and trans. Looks pretty solid to me. A big puzzle of parts waiting to be assembled.

Attachments

#6 ·
Phew - that's a project and a half.

The first thing you need to do is get everything under one roof and do a full inventory of what you have than put together a list of those missing parts you know you will need. Virtually every part on a Model A is available via several restoration suppliers. Then do a 'work sheet' of where you want to be after spending several thousand dollars. That book noted above may or may not be a good source - never heard of the author - but others by Tex Smith or even Boyd Coddington are well known.

You need to decide on an engine, transmission and differential - while I prefer a Ford in a Ford, a Chevy is cookie cutter and been done by thousands in an 'A'. One thing to remember is that a Model A frame ('29-'31 are for all intent, identical) is pretty narrow and things get crowded in a hurry if you go big, i.e. 700R4. Speaking of that frame - a lot of work getting it ready for 2-300 horsepower vs the original 40. At a minimum, it needs to be fully blasted clean, any cracks that have developed over the past 80 years fixed and then boxed for strength. Then do you want to keep that transverse rear spring and that puny original front suspension.........

Driveshaft - most local truck machine shops will build one or you can go to a known source like Denny's or Inland Empire and have one made using new parts and rated for decent horsepower. Mine is a Denny's high horsepower version.

Oh and floorboards - I would go steel, especially if your body frame rails are in good shape. The cost isn't much different then a sheet of marine plywood.

This is what I mean about a 'crowded' Model A chassis:

Good luck!!

Dave W

#7 ·
Dave W makes some good points. I agree that I would start with the chassis. Since the car is in the above pictured state, no reason not to get the chassis separate and where you can work on it. It does need to be prepared for what you intend the purpose to be. If you don't have a way to have it blasted get with a sander and get it back to bare metal. As mentioned you will need to repair it as well. It will have some damage, I have built 17 model A's over the years and I have never seen one that didn't need a little or a lot (sometimes) work.

Cracks and fatigue or a easy fix, the frame will for sure need to be boxed in some areas. There is nothing wrong with that front suspension for a Hot Rod and there is nothing puny about it. The rear cross member is for a buggy spring. There you need to give what you are going to end up with in the rear. There are 1,000's and 1,000's of cars running around with a buggy spring rear suspension. It is not "MY" first choice but I do realize you are on a budget and certainly for now it may just do.

If this was my roadster I would do a coil over and radius rod rear suspension, these are simple and easy to fabricate and work great.

Give this all a little thought and get back to us with YOUR thoughts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.