Hot Rod Forum banner

Retrofitting ABS brakes?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Siggy_Freud 
#1 ·
I am working with a 66gmc 3/4 ton 2wd. Its an 8 lug setup and currently has power drum brakes all the way around.

Here is my idea/question (it actually came to me last night making it hard for me to fall asleep). Would it be possible for me to strip all the braking equiptment off a later model GM or chevy pickup (8lug) and also take the ABS controller (and brake booster and reseviour if they tie into the ABS setup). I am fairly adept at wiring and what not. The engine is FI and run with a computer but as far as I know the TPI computers didn't tie into the ABS braking setup at all (even though the cars the TPI came with had ABS).

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks all.

Dylan.

#2 ·
Makes sense

however the devil is in the details...Probably will require some serious time with the manuals for the donor vehicle to get it all sorted out..always helps to have a complete truck handy to look at to see just how things go together..

#3 ·
As far as converting to ABS, I would put this in the category of "real dang hard" and/or "real dang pricey".

I don't know a ton about the engineering of ABS systems, but you need speed sensors at each wheel, a central ECU to monitor that stuff, plus whatever additional boosters that control the actuation of the ABS......

I would do a conversion to 4 wheel disc and see how that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.