Return Of... The Grand Am From Hell! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 03:35 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Return Of... The Grand Am From Hell!

alright i could do a search and give you my first post but WHY TORTURE OURSELVES? NOTHING WORKED! i replaced the fuel pump in the tank, the filter, the control module (twice) with new parts then 2 more times with wrecking yard items. i just replaced the PROM with new after the other two three didnt work (2used and 1original). two of the modules and proms and the new prom FLOOD the throttle body. one of them starves it. so after i flood it and put on the one that starves it, the engine runs for about 5 seconds and dies. the red wire on the injector pulses. the blue wire (pulsating ground) doesn't! I HAVE CONTINUITY from the injector to the plug in for the control module on the blue wire.

i have replaced the power module and crank sensor both, in fact that was the very first thing i did. i have spark. like i said the motor will run if i pour gas down the t.b or do as above. this BLOWS FRIKKEN CHUNKS!

OH yeah! 89 grand am, automatic, a/c, 2.5 liters, california car

i put an ohm meter on all the relays on the firewall, four of them, and got the same readings to all the pins on all the relays. i have continuity across all the pins on the connectors to the module as well as the other wire loom next to the module inside the car.

Advertisement

Last edited by bullheimer; 07-21-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

its a throttle body efi correct?
when you turn the key on it should spray gas you should
be able to see it correct?

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

What is the fuel pressure?I had one of these ounce that had a bad fuel pressure regulator and would cause it flood.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:34 PM

compression

have you done a compression test?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:45 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Since it runs when you pour gas down the throttle body, we can rule out the ignition. You need a partner or a remote starter to help so you can see if the injector is putting out a good amount of gas when cranking. Use the prom that allows you to get it to run while checking. If no gas check the fuel pressure with the key to 'on' AND while cranking on the engine side of the regulator(stator valve on a TBI?). If it's too low check the pressure before the regulator(stator valve?), it should be alot higher. Could be as simple as too low of vacuum (aka cracked rubber hose) or a bad regulator.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:35 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

it's baaaa ack!

stupid f ing car! got a new PROM. put it in and depending on the computer module i use it will either spit out gas like a fire hose or no gas at all will come out. my bud the chevy wrench at the local dealership says "must have got a bad rebuilt module from napa. okay, so i get my money back from them as well as money for a core, that they already gave me, btw!
so i take said $$ down to the chevy dealer. yeah this is a pontiac but there is only one part number for the prom, only one according to the VIN for the module as well. put them in the grand am from HELL and nothing. no gas. put in the original PROM, which has the same first 8 numbers on the p/n as the new one, which is good. and nothing happens again. i haven't tried any other PROM's in the new module for fear of frying the driver i guess.

got gas! i mean it floods like a mo-fo when the right combo of module/prom are in it, then you put in another and no gas, so it starts and runs and dies after like 4 seconds.

i had pulse at the red throttle body wire and constant lower light level at the blue with no pulsing before. i havent checked with this new module.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

At the risk of getting laughed off the planet...

1. Bad grounds?
2. Pinched fuel line?
3. Tank not vented (pump draws a vacuum and ceases pumping)?
4. Corrodued aluminum wiring from the trunk back?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

bullheimer, what does the engine do if you have the correct ECM and the correct Prom installed? Have you checked the temp sensor? This is a coil pack engine (no distributor) car correct? Can you pull data out of the computer (if you have a scan tool)? If not does the check engine light self check when you turn the key on to the run position? How did the car stop running? Did it just stall and thats it or did it run rough and stall? Does this car have an air cleaner that sits over the throttle body, if so I have seen many times the injector wires will get pinched under the spacer for the air cleaner (that is only if the car has this set up).

Steve
Old 08-03-2005, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Bull, Does this car have a maf sensor?Is the intake hoses on when cranking?
The reason I ask,one of friends called me over to look at his car.He said he tuned it up (plugs,air filter) and now it won,t start.I got over there and it was maf system and he had the intake hose off trying to start it.He had always worked with carbs and didn,t realize it had to be hooked up.
If this is something you already knew,please don,t be insulted.I have a hard time trouble shooting without seeing the car.

Last edited by redlightning; 08-03-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Old Mustangs are to hotrods!

Last journal entry: 68 Mustang Fb
Last photo:

I was FINALLY able to fix my Daughter's GA

Traded it in on a 2005 Cobalt!
No more problems!!
Old 08-04-2005, 05:22 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

when it died wife was driving down town and it just quit. towed home. replaced the power module and crank sensor and tested all the coil packs and there is spark.. replaced the fuel pump after i drained and dropped the tank, what a pita! ]

one problem i had you did mention was no MAF cause i had the air cleaner ripped off when the hood was open (they left a new battery). so we added a MSF sensor. i have since tried the car with the brand new Delco computer and the brand new gm PROM. I do NOT not get a flood of gas, like i did with one of the junk yard. I do get NOTHING! completely dry!!!

i have the maf on but still no air cleaner. howz the maf gonna work w/o an air cleaner anyway? I know what you mean about vac hoses tho. my reliant wagon wouldnt barely run cause a vac line was left off the bottom of the air cleaner. i saw my friend whose spozed to know it all bring over a maf and plug it into somewhere on the engine and say that was good to go.

didn't do anything. he has a computer, i spoze it's time again to hook it up. it didnt help us out at all before. dont know squat about any temp sensor.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

problem

Sounds like a bad power feed to the fuel pump. Have you checked for voltage at the pump connector. I have seen a lot of bad connections feeding the fuel pump. Make sure your power source and ground are solid on the tank. Sounds like you have replace many parts on this vehicle. It would be a shame to find out it was just a bad or broken wire
Old 09-07-2005, 06:53 PM

Most newer cars will shut down the fuel pump after a few seconds if the engine is not running to prevent the gas pump from pumping when the car has been in an accident. I am not sure about your car, but mine was tied to the oil pressure. When the car has no oil pressure it would not run. Have some one listen to the fuel pump when you start the car(put the chips in that allowed it to run for 4 seconds) in the tank.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.