Hot Rod Forum banner

Reuse brakes lines?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  V8 Super Beetle 
#1 ·
Is there any reason I shouldn't reuse the factory brake lines that were on my 94 S10 chassis? They are off as off now. Could they be cleaned, with brake cleaner(?) and reused. I don't mind buying new lines but these are bent and ready to go if there's anything I can do to freshen them up.

Thanks! :welcome:

#2 ·
A set of '94 brake lines are now 16 or 17 years old, depending on when the truck was built. Unless the lines have been scrupulously maintained - that is, drain, flush and refill with fresh fluid every 2-3 years, there is a very high probability that there are some rusty spots in those lines. Brake fluid, the usual DOT 3 that's used is hygroscopic in that it absorbs moisture from the air. Brake tubing is fairly inexpensive and it would be well worth the effort and the small expense to replace it while the vehicle is apart by choice, not by necessity - like after a run in with a tree :sweat: :pain: :pain: . I popped one due to rust once (a 13 year old F350 pick up) and do have to say that it was an "interesting experience" for me and the guy I almost hit. I changed them all after that, including the flex hoses.

Dave W

#3 ·
listen to what he said above , when I was in the parts business , I wanted to see my customers back , my favorite line is "is your life not worth fifty bucks????? " it always worked, alot of times I would see people cut corners only to see there car on the front page of the paper after there brakes failed or wheel come off , because they tried to cheap it out and destroyed there car and hurt/killed themselves or others in the process.

#4 ·
If they look ok why not use them??????? clean them out with some brake clean n blown them out with an air hose n go. I personally have never seen a steel brake line rust from the inside out.... maybe get crusty n rusty from the outside in but that would be quite noticeable especially if you clean them. I could see if the lines were off of something from say NY or somewhere where they have no problem using tons of salt every winter.

#7 ·
Methyl alcohol works good for cleaning the insides, then blow out. I have in the past emptied the master on used vehicles I have bought with gross looking brake fluid, poured in alcohol and bleed until clean. Disconnect lines at master cylinder and blow out. After you do this you will have to use LOT'S of brake fluid to ensure there is NO MORE alcohol as it will reduce the boiling point of the brake fluid.

#9 ·
V8 Super Beetle said:
Is there any reason I shouldn't reuse the factory brake lines that were on my 94 S10 chassis? They are off as off now. Could they be cleaned, with brake cleaner(?) and reused. I don't mind buying new lines but these are bent and ready to go if there's anything I can do to freshen them up.

Thanks! :welcome:
Use your best judgement. Are the slaves all junked up w/rust, does the master look like ditch water has been poured into it? Is there sludge built up in the master?

These are things that point to there having been moisture in the fluid. However, it takes oxygen to cause rust- the lines' ID have very little of that!! lol

If the fittings and outer surfaces are free of defects and rust, I would reuse them. If the fittings are rounded or stripped, new ones (w/correct flare) can be installed.

Never have I seen or heard of a brake line failing because of the condition of its ID. Always has been a failure from the outside in from rust or damage.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

The brake lines are in great shape. No rust, the fluid that was inside them looked OK, and they're just a little dirty on the outside of the lines. The retired mechanic I bought the chassis from suggested I reuse them because "The lines will outlast you and me both", were his exact words.

The lines were on the chassis when I bought it, just the frame / rolling chassis. So no master cylinder was present. I have the brake system completely taken apart. I will be using a new dual unit Wilwood master setup and the brakes have been completely redone. So I just need to hook up lines. There's only three lines that will be reused. The two that go on the differential and the passenger front line.

I think I'll go ahead and reuse those lines because they're still in great shape and are pre-bent and ready to go...after a good cleaning that is. The other 3-4 lines will have to be new.

Thanks again!

#15 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to just buy all new lines. One of the lines has a ding in it I didn't see before. So I figure I'll just replace them all while I'm at it.

I wasn't being lazy, or cheap. Heck, take a look at my bug build. I'm pretty ambitious. Although, I am building on a budget. I figured if the lines were reusable, why not. :thumbup:

Thanks again guys.

#17 ·
454 Rattler said:
I'm sorry about my attitude this morning. There's no good excuse for what I had to say.

454 RATTLER
It's cool, no worries. You were just looking out. Funny thing about reading comments over the net is the narrative voice in each individual's mind is subjective. Mine's a hot chick whispering sweet nothings. :thumbup: Jk

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.