Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - reuse lifters?
Thread: reuse lifters?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR_65
I agree with you whole heartedly - the cost of lifters as compared to the potential loss of the cam, etc. is pretty small.

But . . . in one of the Dave Vizard books I have around here he mentions that lifters in good condition can be re-used if properly prepped. I believe he basically surfaced them by rubbing them on some sand paper in a figure 8 pattern. I'll look for the book tomorrow and post back.

Again though, I wouldn't . . . it does make me curious as to how many of the guys (if any!) who race and go through lots of rebuilds a year do this though . . .

Steve

The original question was about ROLLER LIFTERS, not flat tappet lifters.

This is from the Crane.com web site.

Can used Roller Lifters be installed on a new camshaft?

YES. "Roller" lifters are the only ones that can be re-used. This design lifter has a wheel (supported by needle bearings) attached to the bottom of it. The lobe the roller lifter rides on does not have any taper. This is a very low friction design and does not require the lifter to mate to the cam. As long as the wheel shows no wear, and the needle bearings are in good condition, the "hydraulic roller" or "mechanical roller" lifter can be re-used.

Mark