Reuse roller lifters or not - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Reuse roller lifters or not

Hi, i am aware that good condition roller lifters can be reused but am unsure about mine. The roller itself (dont know what its called) rolls very freely, no scratches and is in good shape. Although, when i pushed the pushrod very hard (by hand) into the top of the lifter to compress the lifters internal spring, it only moves down very very slightly and kinda sounds like a click. Im assuming it should go down slightly further or am i not applying enough pressure. Also, the clip at the top that holds the internals of the lifter in is somewhat falling out and bent on a few lifters, assuming that the above problem is actually not a problem can i just bend these clips back into place? Just wondering if i need to spend the $150 on a new set or if these are reusable. Thanks again guys!

Advertisement

Last edited by 1986c10; 06-28-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

After a couple night soak in oil, the internals seemed to free up a little more so i think that the internals are probably okay. So if the clips at the top are bent in, can i rebend them into place without any problems?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Last photo:

Being careful with the clips, I wouldn't worry about reusing them. The clips only hold things together for assembly as the lifters are preloaded and will work without the clips in the real world with no over-revving. The problem to avoid is a clip coming out and causing problems inside the engine as a loose part.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

if i took the clip out, wouldnt that allow the spring inside the lifter to have more travel? And the clip doesnt actually hold the internals in?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

NEVER take the clips out! I was hoping I wouldn't be misunderstood, but sometimes I suck at explaining... The clip does hold it together. "Theoritically", once the rocker arm is installed and preloads the lifter, the plunger is held below the ring and should never contact it again. "Theoritically", you can put one bullet in a revolver and it not go off pointed at your head. Both cases are valid but I don't condone either one! With all that said, do your best to form the clips back into shape or even borrow some from another unused lifter, but don't worry too much about it being a problem. I'd be wondering why they were bent? That alone might be pointing to a problem none of us are aware of.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If it were me, I would spend the $150 and be done with it. The piece of mind of having new and the thought of the damage that could be done, is worth it.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

As you both mentioned it could be more of a problem as i kind of suspected so i probably will be just getting new ones. But one other question, with just my cam in, it would rotate freely. I put the front 4 lifters in with dogbones and held the dogbones down and rotate the cam. As i rotated it, the cam would walk forward as it lifted one lifter and make a click as it did it, the lifter it did it on was a little bit tight in the bore... Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Cam walk isn't abnormal, particularly with a roller, you need a button. I'm surprised you didn't have one on the old setup, was the inside of the timing cover worn in front of the cam, where the gear would have made contact?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

well the guy that i got the block/valve train components said this block just uses a cam retaining plate on the front which i have and i installed it. The cam still has probably a quarter inch of play with that plate installed... i figured its' supposed take up most of the play and maybe leave about an eighth inch at the most just so it doesnt rub. Mine is not that way. Then i saw this kit and was wondering why their was two retaining plates

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM%20Performan...0002/-1?CT=999

Is this just a general kit in which retaining plate is for a 87-95 tbi block and the other plate for a vortec??? Or am i missing a plate? Thanks for the info 68novass

One other question, assuming i have my retaining plate on correctly. What controls the depth as to how far the cam goes into the block? Is it possible that it was set up too deep and as the pressure of the lifter rolls on the lobe when the valve is opening, it slides the cam forward and then back into its back position in the block when the valve is closing? cause that is somewhat how it feels.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

The cam won't walk backwards, the distributor gear pushes it forward. You need a cam stop button, similar to this, the retainer plate doesn't limit travel. The come in different lengths and probably in an adjustable length. You might need a rub plate on the inside of the timing cover, depending on what style button you use. I don't recall the clearance requirement, it's not much.

Cam walk causes erratic timing as well.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

Okay, just a few questions about that. The guy i got it from said it didnt use a cam button just the plate (probably wrong) but i believed him. Does the cam button push against the timing cover? if so, my timing cover has some sludge on it and their is no signs of anything coming into contact with the inside of it so i feel like it wasnt ran with a cam button. Which leads me to ask, is their some that use the cam button and some that just use a plate? I went ahead and ordered the cam button regardless though because you are more than likely correct as to my cam walking problem. Thanks again
Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

OEM Roller Blocks with the bolt on Retainer Plate don't use a Cam button when using OEM type Roller Cams.
Normal Cam buttons wont fit the OEM Roller Cam Timing Gear as the hole is smaller.

That 1/4" of freeplay is probably because the Distributor isn't installed and the Cam is sliding back into the rear Cam plug on the rear of the block.

Last edited by SSedan64; 06-30-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

With the retainer plate and cam gear installed,you should only have around .005 endplay...give or take a couple.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

i have the cam gear chain, dogbones and spider all hooked up and if the cam is moving in and out it isnt as noticeable. I will check again later but i think it might be good

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.