Hot Rod Forum banner

reusing exhaust manafolds

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  327 / 350 hp 
#1 ·
the used exhaust manifolds have obviously gotten hot and have twisted a bit. are their any tricks to getting them back on? thank you for your suggestions, Joe

#4 ·
I have seen stock cast iron manifolds that have warped and been resurfaced. The older Ford 352 and 390 engines were notorious for exhaust leaks at the manifolds. Most times the resurfacing is just a temporary fix as the manifolds warp again. I have had better success using dead soft copper gaskets than having the manifolds resurfaced.

Vince

#5 ·
302 Z28 said:
I have seen stock cast iron manifolds that have warped and been resurfaced. The older Ford 352 and 390 engines were notorious for exhaust leaks at the manifolds. Most times the resurfacing is just a temporary fix as the manifolds warp again. I have had better success using dead soft copper gaskets than having the manifolds resurfaced.

Vince
they are stock sbc, not headers.my problem is that i do not like the way i am having to force the bolts into the bolt hole. i am afraid that i will cross thread the bolts. i need to get the holes in the manifold realined or at least alot closer to the bolt holes on the head. thank you, Joe ps i have herd of guys walering out the holes i do not think that would work out very well at all.

#8 ·
That tool just makes me wonder how much stress it would put on the manifold, causing them to crack. The manifolds shown in that pic eventually ended up having a bar cast between the ports....I guess they had complaints.

#9 ·
Open the holes up just a little bit and then surface the manifold on a large industrial old school cylinder head resurfacer or belt sander.

I run more heat through stock manifolds than just about anybody...Stock manifolds on my SBC into a 67mm Turbo...= really hot manifolds!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.