Reusing wheel brg grease. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Reusing wheel brg grease.

Last sept. my co. truck had a left front wheel bearing fail. The warranty claim said that the bearings on both sides were replaced. Sat. I had to replace the right bearings, the hub still had the Oem grease in it. I called Ford and they told me that the mechanic replaced the bearing and reused the old grease. I can't believe they think people are that stupid. I told him that if that is the kind of work they do, they will never work on anything of mine. Have other people had dealings like this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If the bearing failed there is metalic particles all in that grease. It should have been all washed off with solvent , blown dry with air and re-packed . Re-using grease can cause your new bearings to go out.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Reusing wheel brg grease.

Contact Fords 1-800 number and let them know what happened to you. I think Ford will be replacing that bearing for you free of charge. Be nice and let Ford know that you are advising them of improper work done on warranty and that you thought they would be interested to know what one of their franchise operations is doing.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Last photo:

Having more than a few years in the mechanic field at Ford and Chevy delerships I can assure you that that wheel bearing had not been replaced. The mechanic performed what is known a "flat rating" on you truck. Getting paid for work not performed. I would have laughed so hard if some moron told me the grease was reused, that is nuts. You probably talked to some pimple faced kid on the service diveway. Contact Ford directly and voice your problem.

Vince
Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

You never know...

Stupid is as stupid does!!

Tazz
Old 04-25-2006, 06:19 PM

I'm sure the wheel was never off, I just couldn't believe they would say something that stupid. That makes me madder than the fact that they padded the claim.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

That is what gives auto technicians a bad name, one rotten apple will spoil the whole barrel. Like has been posted, contact the ford warranty program, thats the kind of things they want to hear about.

Always ask to see the defective parts.

Troycurt
Old 04-25-2006, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

I had the pinion seal on my '88 T-bird replaced under warranty a few years back. 30,000 or so miles later, after getting new non-howling tires, I found out the rear end was howling almost as loud as the tires were. We checked the oil level at a service station, and couldn't find any with a finger, so we decided to add oil until it overflowed. It took 2 pounds, and the thing only holds 3.25. There was no sign of leakage, not even seepage. I took it back to Wray Ford and said I suspected somebody forgot to fill it up after fixing the seal, and the service manager said it must have evaporated. Without me smelling it.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:17 PM

Evaporated--2 lbs. -- My Mom took her new Chrysler to the dealer to get the oil changed--left & drove 2 miles to Walmart & it quit---she took it back---You guessed it they forgot the oil.Told her it wasn't a problem after the clacking stopped with the addition of oil. Needless to say the Dealer & Service mgr. & I had a real serious conversation the next day. Replaced the Motor! Think the service tech got a job on the Interstate--Scary thought!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:57 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Well, I'm not saying that Wal-Mart or the dealer service center (or wherever) shouldn't be held responsible, but people DO make honest mistakes. This is especially true in a "production" environment like Wal-Mart and dealer "quick service" centers. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have got interrupted in the middle of something, like changing oil, and forgot something. I've never forgot the OIL, but I did look down to see it running past my foot one day. Took three quarts in for it to run that far -- through the engine, into pan, onto ground, past foot. Yep, forgot the #$%$#%drain plug!! I rebuilt an engine once only to look around and see the $%#$% front oil seal slinger sitting on a stool beside my work bench. That was a couple days after the engine had been in and running! Out comes radiator to pull balancer...
Old 04-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassman
the hub still had the Oem grease in it.
How could you tell it was OE grease?

Steve
Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have got interrupted in the middle of something, like changing oil, and forgot something. .
Reminds me of a funny incident when I was stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene Texas back in 72. I had a 70 Nova that I was hotrodding and I was at the base mechanic shop. they had stalls you could use to do your own mechanic work. I had just changed oil in the Nova when I was called away to advise on a problem with another guys car. Returned to my car, hopped in and cranked it up, watching the oil pressure gage. What seemed like minutes passed as I watched that gage set on zero, actualy it was only about 5 or 6 seconds. I immediatly shut the engine down and at the same time noticed the brand new oil filter sitting on the bench in front of the car. I opened the car door and glanced under the car to see about three quarts of brand new Pennzoil all over the floor...duh.

Vince
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM

The left hub was clear full of red chassis grease and the cotter pin was bent up over the end of the spindle, the right hub had thick green grease and the cotter pin was spread and wrapped around the spindle. The paperwork only listed 1 mechanic. Is it common for Ford trucks to have wheel brg. failures, 1@25000 and 1@42000. Makes me glad I own old POSs. they seem to be more reliable.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Last photo:

No it is not common to have wheel bearing failures that early in the life of a vehicle. Probably related to Ford and others going offshore (China) for bearings.

Vince
Old 04-28-2006, 12:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Returned to my car, hopped in and cranked it up, watching the oil pressure gage. What seemed like minutes passed as I watched that gage set on zero, actualy it was only about 5 or 6 seconds. I immediatly shut the engine down and at the same time noticed the brand new oil filter sitting on the bench in front of the car. I opened the car door and glanced under the car to see about three quarts of brand new Pennzoil all over the floor...duh.

Vince
The exact reason (except the Nova was a '72) why I place 5 quarts of new oil on the driver's seat before I begin the oil change procedure.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.