reverise front shocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2004, 07:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

reverise front shocks

got a question for you..... my car has very little room in the front for mounting shocks... i finally found a place but the bottom of the shock with be solid and the top will be conneted to the a arm which means a bump will pull the shock out instead of in... is there a shock (perferably a drag shock ot adjustable) that is reversed so i can get the stickk out and easy in... or are shock just not supposed to be mounted like this??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2004, 07:18 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I never heard of anybody installing shocks that way. If it can be done, someone here has done it.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Most shock are made to work in compression but you can get in touch with Alston's Chassisworks and aske them about their new double adjustable shocks. With these, you can adjust both compression and extension.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

it is possible, most cheap shocks have 50/50 valving so the damping on compression and rebound is equal, on a drag shock its usually 90/10, And i am very doubtfull you can find a 10/90 shock...
Old 06-02-2004, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

thats hat i was thinking... problem is the top a arm is about 2-3" wider than the bottom... so to mount it to the bottom id have to make a bracket to extend it 3"... which is a pretty good distance to need something sturdy like that.... any other ideas other than the 900$ air wave shock/bags?? or anybody want to sponser me a set?? its good advertisement i promise
Old 06-03-2004, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

What are you putting this on?
Old 06-03-2004, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

its a '77 toyota corona wagon on an '82 toyota pickup frame with a 450 or so hp 350 (2400lbs).... ugly but itll fly ... im driving it fine now but im looking for a better ride and i dont want to put slicks on the car until i get shocks in the front incase the front comes off the ground any i dont want it bouncing down the track

Old 06-03-2004, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

I actually dig your project man....... thats so different, its cool! You are right though....... you have to have shocks on there. To drive it otherwise is pretty damn dangerous reguardless if it has a small block in it or not. If you get a chance, why dont you shoot me an image of the front suspension to my e-mail and let me see what I can come up with to help you out.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

ive accually been driving it without shocks for about a year..... with the right amount of presure in the bags it does pretty good.. you just have to be careful with bumps and suck... the weight of the small block holds the bouncing down pretty good... now ive driven it without shocks in the back before and i highly advice not doing that.... talk about bouncing.... bounced so hard itd shack the wheels off (literally (luckyily i tuck enough of the tire in the fender that they dont go flying off))

the front suspenion is pretty much like a mustange 2... the problem is the front is out of question because of a suspenion support and the steering arms get in the way... the back is pretty open except for a big support that hold the steering (steering is another wounderous thing done on it) and brake lines (which could be routed to the front and that problem solved... but like i said to mount the bottom to an arm id have to extend a braket off the lower arm about 3 good inches... pretty much theres just a lot of clearnce issues with the car... but thats what makes a good hotrod right??

Old 06-04-2004, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

From the looks of the bottom photo, it looks to me like you have plenty of room..........?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

theres room but like i said the top arm and the bag brace stick out about 3" farther than the bottom arm... so thered have to be a rather funky bracket extending it... and the you have to play with the 6" of suspension travel without scraping anything... im just going to have to buy a shock and see where i can make it fit and how... i was just asking about the reverse shock because i know i could mae that work easily

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.