Hot Rod Forum banner

reverse but no foward

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  oldsmo 
#1 · (Edited)
stock 2004r OZ

I was running someone and had me street tires on 245-60-15.
I footbrake it to about 2grand and let her rip.
she peels like usual and I getting ready to shift into second and it was like it shifted into nuetral on its own, I never even had a chance to get traction.

Its goes into reverse fine but - no foward in any gear sellection. any ideas???????

I forgot, trans fluid and linkage all good. there is no grinding or any odd noises when i shift into drive all there is is nothing like neutral

#3 ·
oldsmo said:
stock 2004r OZ

I was running someone and had me street tires on 245-60-15.
I footbrake it to about 2grand and let her rip.
she peels like usual and I getting ready to shift into second and it was like it shifted into nuetral on its own, I never even had a chance to get traction.
Sounds like the lyrics from "409"....................... :D

She's pooched..............

#4 ·
poncho62 said:
Sounds like the lyrics from "409"....................... :D

She's pooched..............
I pretty much know that it needs to be pulled and worked but I was wondering what clutch pack is toasted or what part is smashed. I was just trying for curiosity to see if someone can give me an idea of what to look for when I pull this thing apart.

Like I said, I can start the car and put it in reverse and hit the gas and she will move like new but put it in drive and NOTHING at all. I just find it wierd that the car was shifting so good and all of the sudden nothing.

I can't remember all the parts in a trans off hand but if reverse works that means the Band and what is the direct drum works?? What I am geting at is that maybe the forword clutch pack is toasted or something. Just trying to learn and test the knowlege we have here.

#6 ·
same thing happen to me 700r4

Pull the trans pan and check for broken parts in the bottom of it. My car would'nt go in reverse,1st,2nd or 3rd. It would only move in ODrive. Had the trans pulled and found out it was shot. Blew planetary, clutches completely apart. It was a TCI tranny. I had to get another tranny with some real guts.Check out MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS.COM :evil:

#7 ·
oldsmo said:
I pretty much know that it needs to be pulled and worked but I was wondering what clutch pack is toasted or what part is smashed. I was just trying for curiosity to see if someone can give me an idea of what to look for when I pull this thing apart.

Like I said, I can start the car and put it in reverse and hit the gas and she will move like new but put it in drive and NOTHING at all. I just find it wierd that the car was shifting so good and all of the sudden nothing.

I can't remember all the parts in a trans off hand but if reverse works that means the Band and what is the direct drum works?? What I am geting at is that maybe the forword clutch pack is toasted or something. Just trying to learn and test the knowlege we have here.

easy guess is the forward clutch pack is bad , broke . Mayb it tore the center out of the drum.

Mayb the sprag shelled it's self.

The band does nothing for reverse.

Weird that it was fine then it quit working? Not at all. People die suddenly every day that were fine an hour before.

#11 ·
After reading on the 2004r I am wondering if it was the the high rpm's that did. I been reading that the line pressures get real low with a motor that turns over 6 grand. I am wondering if the fact that I had been smoking the tires and the engine was so high in the rpms that I just completely smokes the clutches when it started to grab at like 6800 or so. That is what the rev limit is set at. I normally shift early to accommodate the wheel spin but that time I didn't.

Crosley when is the band applied?

#13 · (Edited)
what video or book would you say is probably about the best that shows how to rebuild a 2004r???? I would also like to know what company offers the best complete rebuild kit? And if anybody has any pointers, like throttle valves, servos, shift kits. What will I need to do to get this thing mean enought to handle 450+ horse. I want hard neck snapping shifts. So lets here what yous got??????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.