Reversing front spindles to clear oil pan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 06:07 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Reversing front spindles to clear oil pan

this is my son's first car, it's a '75 Granada he got for free, pretty decent interior and fresh paint, didn't come with engine and steering box.

He's already overhauled this Ford 300 CID Inline six from a Ford truck that I got in the shop, it's free so it's going in the car mated to a fresh C4 tranny.

there are two main issues, first and simplest is that the engine is longer than the "small" 250 sixes that ford puts in the granadas so no room for a mechanical fan up front, an electric unit in front of the radiator solves that easily, the real problem is down there, the oil pan has a huge REAR sump, the granada has no room for a rear sump.

two ideas came to my mind, one would be fabricating a conversion to move the sump to the front, not easy but feasible, second and this is the subject of this post, what if I reverse the spindles, I mean installing the left on the right and viceversa, so the steering arms face the front instead of the rear, this way I would be able to install a front rack and pinion that would make life pretty simple.

Would the KPI and Caster remain the same? or would get backwards?

Having the calipers on the front side I think would make no difference, just longer hoses, several euro cars are this way.

Same thing I'm thinking of doing to this customer's '63 Nova that I'm working on and will get a 350 SBC, the correct sump can be bougth but I think the front rack and pinion would be a better option.

Please tell me your toughts.

Augusto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

KPI and caster will not be changed.

But what WILL be changed is the Ackerman angle.

As the front wheels steer, the inside wheel steers to a greater angle than the outside wheel, so the front tires do not have to scrub sideways. This is done by angling the steering arms inwards at the back.

If you swap the spindles over from side to side, the whole thing then works backwards. The outside wheel steers a greater angle than the inside wheel. Expect massive front tire wear, and steering that does not feel right.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

4 X4 Pan ?

Have you looked at the oil pan from a 4 wheel drive truck or ford van. //some of them are different to clear the front axle. It might work for you.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow
KPI and caster will not be changed.

But what WILL be changed is the Ackerman angle.

As the front wheels steer, the inside wheel steers to a greater angle than the outside wheel, so the front tires do not have to scrub sideways. This is done by angling the steering arms inwards at the back.

If you swap the spindles over from side to side, the whole thing then works backwards. The outside wheel steers a greater angle than the inside wheel. Expect massive front tire wear, and steering that does not feel right.
hmm, didn't think of the ackerman, I'm familiar with it 'cos it's very common to mess with it on kart racing that I do often, I'll make a cad drawing of the whole setup to simulate it and see how it will behave, seems like it would be a better idea modifying the oil pan, maybe I could get across one off a 4x4 truck as timothale suggests.

the rack and pinion seems easy to do in the stock location, just found that summit has a kit to do it on Novas, will work fine on the granada.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:04 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Personally I would look at different pans for the 300. They were used in a lot of different applications including cars trucks and vans and as mentioned you might find one thsat fits with little or no modifications. Even if you have to build or have built a custom pad I believe you will be a lot of time and money ahead doing that over re-inventing the steering.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.