Hot Rod Forum banner

reversing spindles

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cboy 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with reversing spindles in order change "front of axle" steering to "behind axle" steering? My search of the archive didn't turn up much but there was a discussion back in 2002 with a couple of guys noting that it will screw up the the Ackerman. However, I'm dramatically shortening the wheelbase on this project so the Ackerman would already be messed up.

#2 ·
Well Now

I believe this could be done..It has been a common practice on early ford spindles to heat the steering arms to bend them so they work with dropped axles..I think that this could be done with what you have..of course some more specific info as to just what kind of spindles we are talking about here would be helpful..

DANGER..DANGER ..DANGER..These modified spindles must be sent out for Magnaflux or other non-destructive testing to see that no cracks have been induced in the modification process..

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips. After studying the spindles for a while I've decided to nix the idea and keep the front steer. The steering arms on these truck spindles are massive, to say the least, and I doubt I could get enough heat into them to bend them without doing some sort of damage. And if I didn't bend them I'd end up not only with a bad Ackerman...but a reverse Ackerman. So I'm just going to live with the ugliness it will cause in the placement of the steering box and the radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.