Revive the little beast within. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

She Lives!!

Well, after a battery, starter, new battery cable, new coil, new points set. She fired up, just with a little gas dropped down in the carb. She started and dust and crap went everywhere, gunk out the tailpipe. Then she calmed down, purrs like a kitten, no pings, no lifter rattles, no squealing, nothing. So I shut it down, bumped the key, and started right back up. I'm crazy with excitement, all the lights work, blinkers, horn, heater, only thing that don't is the A/C compressor won't come on but who cares about that right now.

Now some major cleaning to be done, then a lot of brake work. The reservoir that holds fluid, now holds a nice jello version of brake fluid. Not good. A little concerned about the rest of the system. It has drums all the way around, and I don't really have the funds to get a conversion at this time. So might just have to rebuild whats there.

I will get a video in the morning of it running and post it on youtube. I thank everyone that chimed in so far, been a great help. I'll be back again for more....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Good deal! As far as the brakes are concerned, there's got to be some info on flushing the lines right here on this site. You probably should kit each wheel cylinder for safety sake. Flush them out, hone the wheel cylinders, fill and bleed, go for a spin. Watch the old tires. Those brake drums were good enuff when the car was new, they will work just fine til you can update. You have a nice ride now.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

Oh yeah. I found some threads to read already. I'm probably just gonna get new wheel cylinders instead of trying to rebuild them. They are too expensive and I really don't have a lot more time before having to leave it again for a long while. And yeah the tires are really old. If I do manage to get to take it out it would only be around the block, no high speeds, mostly just to to car wash as to get some good gas in it.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

video

Got it running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtEeyjaT3vE

The idle is a little high, but thats ok right know, I'm probably gonna have to rebuild the carb anyway.

Does anyone know if I can convert the A/C compressor to use 134A?

Also, I had heard you can use trans fluid to flush the brake system is that a good idea?

Man, it took all day to get the thing clean on the inside. Was really nasty. Still kinda smells, but I will have to pull the carpet to probably get all that smell out. Smells really musty.

I didn't know what to use to clean the mold and mildew, but I used scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner, it's safe on vinyl, plastic, chrome, paint, just about everything. Worked really good.

Thanks for reading.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.