Reviving my 64 Chevy... Need some input - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Reviving my 64 Chevy... Need some input

Ok so this is my first post and I'm eager to learn more about fixing up my Chopped and dropped 64 Suburban. It has a 327 sbc in it and has been sitting for 2 1/2 years. I just put a new battery and starter in it and it fired right up but i don't wanna run it without changing the fluids and what not. So that being said, what should I do to get my 64 back on the road? Changing oil, old gas,... and so on and so on.... Thanks for your input.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dirty burb.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	46003   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirty engine.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	46004   Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	46005  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Remove all light bulbs, use ScotchBrite to shine up connectors and bulbs. Replace both battery cables, shining up the connection points down to bare metal. Run new ground cables. Grind down to bare metal on firewall, frame and a threaded boss on the motor block. Use a new cable firewall to frame and another new cable frame to motor. Cover all connections, inside and out, with RTV to prevent oxidation. Remove starter and shine up all connections and wire terminal ends. De-grease and sand lightly the mating surfaces where the starter bolts up to the block. Sand the paint off the starter bolts where they engage the starter to hold it up. De-grease the bolt threads. Shoot some carb cleaner up into the starter bolt holes (watch your eyes). Remove all fuses under the dash and at the firewall and shine up the fuses and their receptacles with ScotchBrite.

Go through the entire vehicle and look for frayed wiring that could ground on another part or another wire. Plan to spend some time on your back looking up under the dash with a strong flashlight or good trouble light.

You may not have room to get the ScotchBrite pad into some of these tight places like bulb sockets, fuse sockets and such. In that event, use the blade of your pocket knife to scrape down to bare metal.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Remove all light bulbs, use ScotchBrite to shine up connectors and bulbs. Replace both battery cables, shining up the connection points. Run new ground cables. Grind down to bare metal on firewall, frame and a threaded boss on the motor block. Use a new cable firewall to frame and another new cable frame to motor. Cover all connections, inside and out, with RTV. Remove starter and shine up all connections and wire terminal ends. De-grease and sand lightly the mating surfaces where the starter bolts up to the block. Sand the paint off the starter bolts where they engage the starter to hold it up. De-grease the bolt threads. Shoot some carb cleaner up into the starter bolt holes (watch your eyes). Remove all fuses and shine up the fuses and their receptacles with ScotchBrite.

Go through the entire vehicle and look for frayed wiring that could ground on another part or another wire. Plan to spend some time on your back looking up under the dash with a strong flashlight or good trouble light.

Wow, thank you. I appreciate the detailed response. Sounds like I'm going to have quite a day tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Lo6Foe
Wow, thank you. I appreciate the detailed response. Sounds like I'm going to have quite a day tomorrow.
Added a couple of thoughts after you responded. Re-read please.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.