Rewiring Advise Needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2002, 07:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Rewiring Advise Needed

I own a 400 Cu. in. equipped '52 Chevy that really could use a rewiring job. Although everything, except the 6 volt guages, works fine, The "rats nest" behind the dash from previous owners concerns me.
I would like to use a packaged rewiring system from one of the suppliers that are found in virtually every Steet Rod Magazine. And ideally install the fuse block and transfer circuits as I continue to drive the car. Can anyone recommend a supplier for " a wiring impaired rodder". A supplier who assumes the buyer has never done this before fits me just fine!
Now a guage question. Everything except the gas guage has been bypassed. Pre-me the guage was hooked up to 12 volts. Upon turning the switch, the needle jumps up to the "E" position. I attempted to put a 6 volt reducer in-line but this did not improve the situation. Has the 12 volts through the system damaged the guage? The wiring diagram shows the sender is grounded only and I assume the sender uses resistance ohms to "move the needle in the guage. So for now I have only focused on the guage. Not the sender. If someone has experiece with this, can you give me some help getting my guage to work. For some reason my wife has no sense of humor about running out of gas because there is no guage! Can you imagine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2002, 09:02 AM

Try Ron Francis at www.wireworks. I had a chance recently to check out some of their products, all i can say is " AWESOME ". His kits are very well engineered, neat and tidy and best of all just about anyone could install it. Check him out, I am sure you wont be disappointed.They have excellent tech support and a ton of cool options .
Hope this helps.
P.S. you may pay a little more, but from what i have seen , you get what you pay for!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:04 AM

OOPS! www.wireworks.com, that should work better.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:37 AM

Cool

Ive got some simple wiring schematics but I wound half to mail them to you ? I new at this computer stuff
Old 04-17-2002, 09:40 AM

Cool

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]</p>
Old 04-17-2002, 05:15 PM

I used Painless Wiring on my 49 Willys sedan delivery. It is exactly what they say...PAINLESS. Directions are very simple and easy to understand. All wires are marked the entire lenght, so no matter where you are, a wire is easily identified. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
Old 04-17-2002, 06:34 PM

Opinions and answers to this questions about brands of store bought wiring harnesses are gonna be somewhat akin to certain parts of your anatomy, every body has got one....my personal favorite is Haywire brand. I feel any of the major sellers like Painless, Ron Francis, etc will be compatible. There will be little perks about each brand that a person who has dealt with several different ones would not like, or prefer one over the other, but they will all do you a decent job, and are made for the "novice" car wiring installer. I Have done a few of the Haywire harnesses, a couple of different styles that they sell, and been a party to a Ron Francis wiring harness. They make it fairly simple, and are usually available for tech support during the day if you are stumped on anything. The Haywire system that I used on my car is like an OEM replacement, 18 circuit system, more bells and whistles than I really needed, all for less than $300. They do make bigger and better, if you choose. The only problems ever encountered with the Haywire system was with the dummy installing it(me), once I got past that, it has worked flawlessly. There is also a place to send your factory gauges to have them converted to 12V and rebuilt if you choose to do so, can't call the name off hand, but their add will be on the back cover of several different streetrod magazines.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

I am with Paco here. I like haywire(i dont use any of them as we do custom wiring)I have had some issues with ron francis.I think with your car ..is it rodded with lots of assy on it(p/w a/c ) or is it pretty simple? Cause if it is a simple car i would just buy the original repop harnees for it.Its supper easy to install. The gas guage gets a runtz resister on the power side of the gauge under the dash. Also dont let any one tell you 6 volt wiring is not heavy enough...as it is heavyer tham stuff that was wired 12 volt. Also just a tip about wiring.......dont do it in stages. Pull the gauge panel and start cutting.Just remove it all.It will cause you more heart ach in the end and never comes out very well if you dont. Plan out were you will hang the wires and put wire ties than are just started (not pulled tight) and run the wires to each circuit. Now the real biggy..before you listen to me or any other manuf or buddy. Put a ground from the batt to the frame..next a ground from the frame to the engine.Next a ground from the frame to the body.Grounds are super important .Use batt cable on each ground i talk about. I have seen what a car looks like at nite with no ground on the body...the carb linkage lights up!! Sparks next to the carb.LOL NOT GOOD. Also dim head lights. look into replacing the head lite plugs and never crimp the wires on head lites allways solder them(your nite time driving will be much more fun) The truck shop in CA has a whole bunch of parts for your car(think a catologe for just your model also)...maybe give them a call(i am no way involved with the company) Wiring can be one of the most fun and rewarding things the average rodder can do.. Oh i almost forgot...if your back is as bad as mine pull the front seats ..you will thank me later

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.