Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rhodes lifters?
Thread: Rhodes lifters?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 06:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Firechicken,

They are the Performer RPM heads with 64 cc chambers. The stock heads had 76 cc chambers and yielded 8.5:1 compression according to GM.

On a side note, Edelbrock informed me recently that the only difference between the Performer and Performer RPM heads was the lack of an EGR passage on the RPM heads. CHP mag shows the reg perf heads with a 166cc intake port and the RPM heads with a 170cc intake port. Neither of them are excessive for making torque and midrange power at all, at least based on everything I've read.

The Edel heads definitely raised the compression. How much? I don't know for sure. But I know that both Edelbrock and Comp Cams told me the combo would "work great" with everything else I have (2200 stall, 3.31 rear end, TH200R4 (2.74 1st gear), 26" tall tires etc.

Their idea of "working great" and my idea of "working great" must be two different things!!! LOL

This combo is waaay down on torque below 2500 rpm compared to stock. It'll barely spin the tires off the line and my 60' times are way down from the stock engine combo. (2.3 now vs. 2.05 stock) and the mph isn't much higher. Tuning the carb has helped. How much I don't know since I haven't had it back to the track since I've done most of the tuning.

Sure, a 3.73 rear gear and a 2800 stall converter would wake it up. Problem is that I don't have an extra grand laying around to do those things.

I do have an extra $100 and a Performer intake though. And I have time...

I'm leaning toward replacing the cam with something single pattern with a .050" duration at 218 degrees(instead of 224/230) that I have now) and a Performer intake. I',

BTW, the engine runs great. Starts up easily, is very liveable around town, gets good gas mileage, sounds awesome. But, I hate having to rev it like a 125cc motocrosser to make any power . My friend has a '67 Barracuda with a stock 360 and he takes me off the line. I can't pass him till I hit second gear.

He's about to add headers and intake so I gotta do something, and quick!! LOL.

Anyway thanks to everyone for responding. Here's my car.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cragar_new_home.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1383