ride height? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 07:17 AM

Last journal entry: recessed lisence plate
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ride height?

What is the best way to figure ride height when building a new frame on a car that has no axles or wheels under it , for example if I'm useing a 4" drop axle in the front how much kick or "z" do I need in the rear do not want much of a nose dive affect or rake . thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Great question, this is an area where many folks get into trouble right at the get-go. There are several things you need to know when you are setting up your chassis.

1. Tire/wheel package radius
2. Type of suspension
3. How much rake you want on the finished car at ride height.

When you have this info, you can begin your calculations.

The figure for tire/wheel radius is your axle centerline. What you need to do from there is figure out for the front end with your axle how high the frame needs to be over it to give you enough suspension travel. 3" is a good figure. That is your front frame height at the axle centerline. For the rear, the same thing goes. Your rear axle centerline is your rear tire/wheel package radius. Once you have that figure, mock up your frame at the desired rake and see how much clearance you have over the rear axle. If less than about 3" you will have to "C notch" or "Z" the frame to gain the clearance you need. If when you get to this point and the whole car is too high, you will have to modify your frame at the front to get to the height you want, and then reset the rake and determine what you will have to do at the rear for clearance.
Once the frame height is determined it gives you the basis for installing the various linkages for your suspension so when the car is completed the suspension will work as designed. When the car is complete, you then tune your springs to get the car to your pre-established height.

Take your time with this process, it pays huge dividends in the long run!

Andy
Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM

Last journal entry: recessed lisence plate
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

re:ride height

So before I attempt to build the frame do I need to buy my front axle so I can determine the axle center line? I'm building a full fendered model-t with a solid dropped 4" front axle and a 9" rear with coil overs wit a mini tub job so my rear is more than likely have to be kicked in the rear.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.