Right bank lean. Left fine. Why? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Right bank lean. Left fine. Why?

I would just like to know how the left bank on this 1998 vortec 350 runs fine and the right bank is running lean some of the time. What besides the o2 sensor could cause this? It uses sequential fuel injection. I am trying to learn more about this engine and I can't find the info I am looking for. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Not an engine pro by any stretch, but could it be somehow related to a weakened injector pulse? I'm not even sure how to test that, but it's a thought.

In a while, Chet.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:33 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

I thought of that. I pulled the plugs and all for are black and sooty on the right bank. It seems to me if it was a weak injector or injectors the plugs would all be a lil different looking on the right bank.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I was thinking more along the lines of the signal voltage (sv) to the injectors on the right side being higher than the sv on the left side. Then the o2 sensor would signal to send more fuel, and that's what's causing the rich condition in the right side. I'm just not really sure how that sv is controlled.

Other thought, though, if you don't mind another o2 sensor thought. How many o2 sensors do you have? My '97 has 3. One on each side of the y-pipe, and one by the cat. Could the right side one be fubar'd ?

In a while, Chet.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
I would just like to know how the left bank on this 1998 vortec 350 runs fine and the right bank is running lean some of the time. What besides the o2 sensor could cause this? It uses sequential fuel injection. I am trying to learn more about this engine and I can't find the info I am looking for. Thanks.
A vacuum leak or a leaking exhaust could admit enough air to fake the O2 sensor into thinking that side was running lean as well as a failing O2 sensor or the wiring to or from it.

OK need to explain myself a bit. If additional air is getting into the engine at the intake side or if being drawn into the exhaust, the O2 sensor will read this as a lean condition and throw more fuel at the side with the apparent lean A/F ratio. Since it adjusts by side of the engine, even if only one cylinder is running lean, all on that side will be adjusted causing the normal cylinders to go extremely rich.

Bogie
Old 11-23-2007, 04:18 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
A vacuum leak or a leaking exhaust could admit enough air to fake the O2 sensor into thinking that side was running lean as well as a failing O2 sensor or the wiring to or from it.

OK need to explain myself a bit. If additional air is getting into the engine at the intake side or if being drawn into the exhaust, the O2 sensor will read this as a lean condition and throw more fuel at the side with the apparent lean A/F ratio. Since it adjusts by side of the engine, even if only one cylinder is running lean, all on that side will be adjusted causing the normal cylinders to go extremely rich.

Bogie
If that was the case it seems like the cylinder that is lean would have a cleaner looking plug then the good ones that are getting to much fuel. All four on the right bank looked the same. No exhaust leaks. That was my thinking too. I fixed that last week. But I will check for a vacuum leak anyway.
Still the problem seems to come on after driving a bit. And when it happens its like somebody threw a switch. Bad idle, terrible hesitation random cylinder misfire, black smoke. The trans is even effected. It will start running at higher than normal rpm in overdrive.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Can you read the #1 O2 sensor output on the right side? If so is it fluctuating roughly between .2 and .8 volts? If it is I would look for anything that would make those 4 cylinders lean. If it isn't is it stuck above or below .45 volts? My guess is that it's stuck below .45.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
If that was the case it seems like the cylinder that is lean would have a cleaner looking plug then the good ones that are getting to much fuel. All four on the right bank looked the same. No exhaust leaks. That was my thinking too. I fixed that last week. But I will check for a vacuum leak anyway.
Still the problem seems to come on after driving a bit. And when it happens its like somebody threw a switch. Bad idle, terrible hesitation random cylinder misfire, black smoke. The trans is even effected. It will start running at higher than normal rpm in overdrive.
Your last statement takes me to the other thing I tossed out at you which is a wiring problem. If you're running at cruise in 4th and suddenly the revs go up a 100-200 rpms with no gear change it tells me the converter is coming out of lock up.

Bogie
Old 11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

I replaced the pre cat. o2 sensors. The heck with it. I have not driven far enough to tell if they were the cause.
I just had the converter replaced because it was slipping bad. It seems very intentional when it comes out of lock up and starts missing and running bad. Just like something told it to do that. I hope I don't sound like a clown.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:24 AM

Last journal entry: the '27 T Not only has working doors...
Last photo:

Intake manifold or injector seal vacuum leak

Check for vacuum leaks!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.