Right cam for my SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Right cam for my SBC

Will this be a good cam on my 67 el camino. It has a sbc 350, rhs torker heads, 180cc runner, 64 cc chamber, (about 9.2 compression), holley 670, edelbrock performer eps intake, headers, 3.55 gears, stock stall converter on turbo 350 and my car weights about 3200lbs. This is a daily driver/cruiser. I like to go to car shows and to be honest, I am not really looking for power as to much as the sound of a good lopey/thumping cam. This cam was recommended by a tech from Comp cams. I prefer to stay with hydralic flat tapper cam vs roller....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-238-2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

It is the right cam for your application but it does not have a real racy idle if that is your main priority.

A cam that has enough duration and overlap to have the big racy rough idle will require a torque converter change. Think 235+ duration with tight LSA 106-108 and a 3500+ stall converter.
These type of cams do not work with a "stock converter", so unless you are willing to get the right converter, do not go for the big racey cam.

The cam comp recomended will run very well.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

X2

you will hear a little bit of a lope in the idle, you'll be able to hear the the motor is not stock
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Any idea on what the stock stall converter is on a turbo 350. I was hoping to put the comp thumper cam in my 350. Any suggestions on a higher stall converter?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CC...4/?image=large
Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

this is just my opinion but stay away from comp cams thumper cams, they do just what they say thump, but dont give power with that thump, it's like false advertising. as far as stalls go i dont like putting anything less than a 3000 stall in a vehicle if i have to put one in, personaly i've found that a lot of 2000-2500 stalls are just modified stock stalls, but you typically want to have a stall speed about 500rpm above where your cam starts making it's power

ie; 2000-5500 cam= 2500 stall, 3000-6000 cam= 3500 stall
Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax305
Any idea on what the stock stall converter is on a turbo 350. I was hoping to put the comp thumper cam in my 350. Any suggestions on a higher stall converter?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CC...4/?image=large
The stock GM 12" converter gives 2000-2100 stall behind a 350cid motor.
The stock 13" converter ( typical th400 converter) gives around 1700 stall behind a 350cid small block.

The thumper cam you are looking at requires a 2800-3000 stall (11") converter minimum. A 3500 stall 10" converter is not too much.

Works best with a bit of gear and recurved distributor. may need a carb power valve swap.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Hello well I have been where your at before and if you want that racy idle then you will have to get all the right stuff to go with it along with rear end gear ratio etc. If you want something that has a noticeable idle and still be fun to drive around town with out any issues then get the cam comp recommended. At 218/224 @ 30 duration its quite more then stock and it will give your 350 a nice lope to it without being extreme and will make way better power then a thumpr cam.

Stay away from the thumpr cam. I had one and after one year I got rid of it on ebay. I have a 350 with a little more then what you got but not by much and I am running a slightly bigger cam then the one comp recommended you but not by much and it sounds good and I can still cruise around with out issue.

Big racy cams are more for the track and a weekend type thing. Please don't make a mistake and over cam your engine. I had to learn through several years of problems getting carb to work right, timing, spark plugs and other things. Just get what you really need and be happy. Trust me and from others.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Hello well I have been where your at before and if you want that racy idle then you will have to get all the right stuff to go with it along with rear end gear ratio etc. If you want something that has a noticeable idle and still be fun to drive around town with out any issues then get the cam comp recommended. At 218/224 @ 30 duration its quite more then stock and it will give your 350 a nice lope to it without being extreme and will make way better power then a thumpr cam.

Stay away from the thumpr cam. I had one and after one year I got rid of it on ebay. I have a 350 with a little more then what you got but not by much and I am running a slightly bigger cam then the one comp recommended you but not by much and it sounds good and I can still cruise around with out issue.

Big racy cams are more for the track and a weekend type thing. Please don't make a mistake and over cam your engine. I had to learn through several years of problems getting carb to work right, timing, spark plugs and other things. Just get what you really need and be happy. Trust me and from others.
What cam are you running? Thanks for all the reply guys!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Would this cam work with my set up and would it give a more agressive idle than the xe262h? The tech info says this is the largest cam for a stock converter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-242-2/
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Well that would work good with your setup pretty well but I would not go any bigger then that. That cam will give you good bottom end as well as some good top end as well. Your rear gear ratio should work good with it as well. I am going to swap out my 4.10 to a middle gear ratio soon like that as well.

I have a same size cam as that in my engine now with world sportsman 2 heads and edelbrock performer rpm intake and it idles with a nice lope at around 800 rpm and I have yet to have any issues cruising around town and its a breeze to tune my 600 holley carb I have on my 350 now. My cam is a crane powermax hydraulic roller cam but it will sound about the same.

The xtreme energy cam actually has a faster ramp rate then mine so it might be a hair more lope to it. Trust me if you use that cam it won't sound like stock by a long shot. It's not a nascar racy type idle but it sounds good when you fire it up. Also your stock converter will work but if you have a chance to get at least a 2000-2200 rpm stall that would make it work better. I got one from jegs for 120 bucks and it does excellent.

Hope that helps you out on a choice.

Eric
Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Hey Max I am in the very same boat as you but my cylinder head selection is not in stone just yet. I have plans to use a set of early. But 2.02 / 1.60 valved heads that have been ported and all the machine work done the only problem is I do not know what they flow or what they are capable of so that makes it tough to mach a cam up with them. The cam I have that came with this engine is a Crane Powermax HR-276-2S-12 IG it is a fairly mild grind that at first attracted me because I was thinking about a small turbocharger? But as of now the wallet says sell the 112 shaft in favor of a 110 shaft with a bit more lift and duration. I am also entertaining Vortec heads if I can find some locally? If this cam is of interest let me know maybe we can deal?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax305
Would this cam work with my set up and would it give a more agressive idle than the xe262h? The tech info says this is the largest cam for a stock converter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-242-2/
Althou comp claims this cam will work with a stock converter, it really needs a higher stall speed than "stock". Combine this cam with a 3000 stall and a bit of gear and it works great.

Its just ok aceptable with a stock converter.

If you must stick to a stock converter stall, use the smaller XE262 cam with 218@.050. The biggest mistake people make is picking the wrong cam for what they got.

If you want the lumpy idle cam get your head around the fact that you will need the right matching torque converter or it isn't going to work.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info guys, Looks like I will be getting a 3000 stall.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

why install a cam with more duration on the exhaust than intake? That is a fix for a poor flowing exhaust port and/or poor flowing exhaust system. You have headers and a good set of aftermarket heads so no need for all that exhaust duration. The engine will make more power with less exhaust

I would avoid xtreme cams as they are extremely likely to go flat and make a noisy valve train.

A cam like a comp 268H or 270H would be better. same intake as exhaust duration and slightly softer ramps so it will be less likely to go flat and make noise. Plus these cams will work well with 9.2:1 cr and a 3.55 gear. Will make a little less power due to the softer ramps but is but less likely to go flat and chew up the engine bearings.

use an oil additive with your new cam. www.zddplus.com

The stall is a tricky choice. 3000 rpms would give to the best performance but will have that "slipping feeling" at more than 1/2 throttle. So, driving around town will feel like the trans is slipping but the highway should be ok with that 3.55 gear since 3000 rpms comes quickly. Yes, most 2000-2400 stalls are poorly modified stock converters but they work. Stock stall rating is in the 1600 rpm range, but where it really stalls depends on gear, weight, and engine torque.

light car, higher numeric gear, small engine lowers the stall

heavy car, lower numeric gear, big engine increases the stall

fyi, if you plan to pull a trailer with your car/truck then don't put in a bigger converter. Just use a cam that can use the stock converter. 260H or 268H.
A 2400 stall will turn into a 3000 stall with a trailer (heavy car increases the stall).
Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
why install a cam with more duration on the exhaust than intake? That is a fix for a poor flowing exhaust port and/or poor flowing exhaust system. You have headers and a good set of aftermarket heads so no need for all that exhaust duration. The engine will make more power with less exhaust

I would avoid xtreme cams as they are extremely likely to go flat and make a noisy valve train.

A cam like a comp 268H or 270H would be better. same intake as exhaust duration and slightly softer ramps so it will be less likely to go flat and make noise. Plus these cams will work well with 9.2:1 cr and a 3.55 gear. Will make a little less power due to the softer ramps but is but less likely to go flat and chew up the engine bearings.

use an oil additive with your new cam. www.zddplus.com

The stall is a tricky choice. 3000 rpms would give to the best performance but will have that "slipping feeling" at more than 1/2 throttle. So, driving around town will feel like the trans is slipping but the highway should be ok with that 3.55 gear since 3000 rpms comes quickly. Yes, most 2000-2400 stalls are poorly modified stock converters but they work. Stock stall rating is in the 1600 rpm range, but where it really stalls depends on gear, weight, and engine torque.

Ditto.

I would also add Isky makes some good single pattern cams in this range. And if you want more lift then change the rockers to 1.6's.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.