is right now the worst possible time... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Last journal entry: 46 mercury bobber pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

is right now the worst possible time...

to try and sell a hot rod?
anyone else have any luck out there?
any predictions on when things will pick up?
discuss...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

No luck at all. I'd be happy with some tire kickers and spam mail at this point. There's no doubt it's a bad time between the economy and the time of year. I'm not worried, it can sit all winter in my garage for all I care and I'll try again in the spring. It's slowing me down from working on another project because I need the money and room to do it. I don't need to sell to buy food or anything so I can wait it out. (kind of sucks though as I REALLY want to get moving on my model A)
Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I agree, people are not getting what they where getting 1 + years ago.

Look on ebay, much cheaper right now, people re-listing for lower and lower.

My best friend just sold his bad *** 67 C10 short bed, absolutely perfect, powder coated chassis and suspension, Budnik wheels, ostrich interior, billet and chrome everything, everywhere, nasty little 406, fresh paint. In fact, the whole dang truck was just recently finished, and he only got $20K, a heck of a lot less than what was in it.

Jason
Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Its hard to say, get the right person on the right day and you could make a good sale for yourself. However in general the prices seem to be down and its a buyers market. If it was me I would try free or cheap local advertising, car trader, craigslist ect. Don't bother with Ebay, its expensive to list and will go for about half its real value.

The magic 8 ball says Hotrod prices will rise when the economy rises

Jordon
Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

it just sucks waiting. i'd like to get rid of this thing asap to get going on another one.
heck, i'd even consider a partial trade just to get things movin
Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I sold my Pontiac a few weeks ago.....Guess I have to change my screen name now..... ....Took less than I would have liked, but times is tough.......It took over a year to sell

Budget RVs
Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

To generalize a bit: Hot rods are discretionary spending and right now, people are struggling to meet their basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter and medical essentials. The kicker is that a lot of well heeled individuals are bailing out of the more traditional investment world and are investing in items they can touch and feel and that includes collector cars and hot rods. However, to benefit from this playing field, you have to have a top notch item that is near perfect. Some of the members on this board may have the skills and where-with-all to produce a vehicle that would attract the big buck investors, but most of us don't. I definitely would not start another project if I could not peddle the one I have because you could find yourself trying to peddle two of them!!!

Trees
Old 10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

I'm asking myself the same questions - - - but haven't decided whether I want to put it on the market or not.

Guess the best thing is to put the word out and see what happens.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

I'm kinda thinking that someone who would spend 30+ grand on a hotrod ain't worrying about the economy.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atotalnincompoop
to try and sell a hot rod?
anyone else have any luck out there?
any predictions on when things will pick up?
discuss...

There is plenty of money out there IF you have the right stuff.

ebay will usually bring final bids within 10-15% of real market value on anything that is pretty saleable but not done mainstream....and in some cases it can go above market if you have the right stuff. Right stuff right now is old time type builds. ProStreet is belly-up for resale...no kidding.

I did not follow your bids; what was the highest it went? Did you run it twice??? that won't work right now, and I sure don't do it.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
I did not follow your bids; what was the highest it went? Did you run it twice??? that won't work right now, and I sure don't do it.
i put it on a couple of time, the first time it went to over $30k within a couple of days, then they announced all the economic crap hitting the fan and the bidding stopped.
i waited until they anounced the $700B package and put it on again that day, the friday they voted to pass it, it was at $25k by monday i think and then the banks in europe started to circle the bowl as well, the bidding stopped right there again.
i tried a buy it now and a best offer, both with no bites.
i am going to wait until after the election and see whats happens i guess.i put it in the classifieds here at a discounted price today, perhaps someone will want her.i have had tons of offers to trade from everyuthing from vipers to newer cars to other hot rods, but nothing has appealed to me yet.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Today in our local news this area's housing market is only worse by Nevada. & That we will not see any relief until late 2010.

All the businesses that popped up when the housing market was crazy busy have dried up like the dust bowl & the ones with staying power are suffering.

People who Buy & $ell hot rods regularly ,i ts a hobby & the $$ is not a problem, for those who live ,work & play in that realm, tough times ahead.

You know what you need to regain out of the deal.
If you need that to feed the family , well its hard to eat steel & rubber.

Good Luck.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I needed to sell my Model 'A' Coupe and listed it on eBay.

My starting (opening) price was at the very minimum I would accept plus the new eBay fee.

I listed it with NO RESERVE, NO BUY IT NOW, and NO TRADES. I also stated that I would NOT end the listing early.

I received one comment from a potential buyer that because my starting price was in his opinion "high", that how then could that be a No Reserve auction. Dumb A. I knew and expected that if there were any bids they would come at the last few minutes of the auction. If I had not received any bids, I was not going to re-list or sell the coupe. I really wasn't that anxious to sell it.

A few folks came by to look at the coupe and "kick the tires". I told all, that I would not take any offers except thru the eBay bidding system to be fair to all interested. At the end of the auction there were just over 100 folks watching the auction (sellers can see this info). There were four bidders and I sold the coupe to John B. in Defiance, Ohio. This was a very successful and pleasant transaction. The coupe was delivered to him last Friday.

The price has to be realistic and not something that is of Barret-Jackson proportions, unless the car is of that higher quality. Even then, the market for "Hot Rods" is somewhat limited and in my opinion always has been. It is a "Buyer's Market" when it comes to Hot Rods (regardless of the economy at the time) and the buyer wants to believe that they got a "deal".

Being able to wait for the right buyer is important to getting the price you want. Most of the time when we are ready to sell, we are also anxious for a quick sale.

Your coupe looks great!

A couple of problems that I see though.

The first is that you are in Canada. Not that many folks understand or want to find out what is involved in "importing" a car from another country.

The second is that your coupe is a much higher valued (priced) car than the average street driven "Hot Rod". This limits the market for you as the seller even more.

My suggestion to you is that unless you absolutely must sell your coupe soon, then sit back and wait and the "right" buyer will come along with a price that is to your liking.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
I needed to sell my Model 'A' Coupe and listed it on eBay.

My starting (opening) price was at the very minimum I would accept plus the new eBay fee.

I listed it with NO RESERVE, NO BUY IT NOW, and NO TRADES. I also stated that I would NOT end the listing early.

I received one comment from a potential buyer that because my starting price was in his opinion "high", that how then could that be a No Reserve auction. Dumb A. I knew and expected that if there were any bids they would come at the last few minutes of the auction. If I had not received any bids, I was not going to re-list or sell the coupe. I really wasn't that anxious to sell it.

A few folks came by to look at the coupe and "kick the tires". I told all, that I would not take any offers except thru the eBay bidding system to be fair to all interested. At the end of the auction there were just over 100 folks watching the auction (sellers can see this info). There were four bidders and I sold the coupe to John B. in Defiance, Ohio. This was a very successful and pleasant transaction. The coupe was delivered to him last Friday.

The price has to be realistic and not something that is of Barret-Jackson proportions, unless the car is of that higher quality. Even then, the market for "Hot Rods" is somewhat limited and in my opinion always has been. It is a "Buyer's Market" when it comes to Hot Rods (regardless of the economy at the time) and the buyer wants to believe that they got a "deal".

Being able to wait for the right buyer is important to getting the price you want. Most of the time when we are ready to sell, we are also anxious for a quick sale.

Your coupe looks great!

A couple of problems that I see though.

The first is that you are in Canada. Not that many folks understand or want to find out what is involved in "importing" a car from another country.

The second is that your coupe is a much higher valued (priced) car than the average street driven "Hot Rod". This limits the market for you as the seller even more.

My suggestion to you is that unless you absolutely must sell your coupe soon, then sit back and wait and the "right" buyer will come along with a price that is to your liking.
you have made a lot of good points, i had thought about taking it to rod run somewhere in the states and putting a sign in the window. however, that isn't legal. someone either has to come here in person and bring it back across the border themselves or hire a broker to do that.
realistically, someone will have to be pretty close to me, geographically speaking, (minnesota, wisconsin,etc)
i'm not desperate to sell but i am wanting to sell. i'm ready to move on to the next project and space is limited in my garage. once my new house and garage are complete i'll have room to keep and store cars as i build them.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atotalnincompoop
realistically, someone will have to be pretty close to me, geographically speaking, (minnesota, wisconsin,etc)
Not really. I sold the '28 Pickup that is my avatar four years ago to a fellow from Norway. I had it listed twice on eBay and it didn't reach my reserve price either time. He saw it on eBay and e-mailed me but never placed a bid. He came to the U.S. to buy other Hot Rod parts and the '28 pickup. He paid in US currency and took care of the shipping and import taxes (very high) to Norway himself. My point is that there is a buyer out there that will meet your terms if you are patient.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.