Hot Rod Forum banner

Ring Orientation Question

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  IanRiordan 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Do you think this is a problem? If so, I'll have to pull a few pistons and realign the rings..

see diagram attached... it illustrates the orientation of ring on pistons 1,3,5,7 and 2,4,6,8.. driver's side and passenger side banks.

Now, the diagram didn't indicate a side that is the front of the engine, so I assumed you use the orientation based on looking at the top of the piston.

Therefore, the top ring (D), would be oriented to the back of the engine on piston 1, and the front of the engine in piston 2, etc. Cyls 1,3,5,7 would have the top gap facing the rear, while cyls 2,4,6,8 would have the top gap facing the front.

I have since stumbled onto a diagram that has only one illustration, however it indicates that all gaps would orient to the front of the engine (i.e,. all the same way). The diagram though is essentially the same.

Does anyone see this as a problem? i.e., is ring orientation significant only in relationship to the other rings on the piston, or across all pistons?

On any given piston I have preserved the orientation, however not necessarily the way it is prescibed in the book, I assume the book does this for simplicity?

The engine is a mild 350 4-bolt build-up targeting maybe 300hp. The pistons are KBs 30 over and matching plasma moly rings. All rings have been sized, etc.

Thanks,
Nigel

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Keep the end gaps off the thrust faces - pointing front or rear is ideal, then have 1st and 2nd comp rings approx 180 degrees apart. If you set them over the gudgeon and the oil ring segments(not expander rail) 45 deg apart you'll be ok. Picture, from front or rear, top ring 11o'clock, 2nd ring 5 o'clock, top oil ring @ 2, and lower oil ring @ 8pm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.