ring & pinion change - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ring & pinion change

I want to change my gears from 3.08 to 3.55 ring & pinion can I just change gears or do I need to change shims all so. rear end from 77 corvette.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

you most likely willl need to re-shim the side carrier bearings for the proper ring gear lash .

the pinion gear shim may remain the same .

you need to check the depth of the pinion gear to the ring gear for the pinion shim thickness
Old 05-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

I hate to say this but if you have to ask, have it done.The reason is many special tools such as a case spreader, pinion depth gauge, dial indicators etc are needed to do it right.Many people have changed just the gears and been ok , many more have done it and destroyed an expensive rearend.It shouldn't cost to much to have it done, far less than the tools cost.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Thats why I asked to see what was all involved in changing ring & pinion out I am having a hard time finding someone where i live Avon Park,fl to do the work.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

Sometimes it is tough to find some one because the tools cost so much.A lot of times you can get by but not always. the hardest part is the case spreader Gm used a device that opened up the case slightly to aid in installing the shims they slip in with the spreader installed and when it is removed the case provides preload on the shims.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 AM

Have you checked with the Chevrolet dealer to see if they could do the work on your Corvette differential?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

I would bet that would be extremely high at the dealer. Most shops in this area charge around 400-450 labor to go through a differential.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM

You won't know until you ask what it will cost! Having the right tools and experiance is worth something. I would not recommend that the average guy try to work on a differential at home because of the special tools, selection of shims, knowledge and experience that is required. I have set up hundreds of differentials but always had the tools and shims that were required. I'm not saying it can't be done at home but be sure you know what you are getting into.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I own a spreader but have only used it once! The trick I've found is once you get the proper setting on the backlash using just enough shims to let it slip in and out easily, I warm up the races and add the right amount of shims to give the correct preload and slip it in. Been doing it that way for years and it doesn't take much heat to make the races expand enough and it works a lot faster and easier than using that heavy arse spreader. I also have 'trial' bearings that slip on and off easily to help make setup easier. Once you get the pinion set, remove the trial bearings, stick on new bearings. The trial bearings are also new and unused to keep the settings as close as possible once the permanent ones are on there. It never varies more than .002"
Old 05-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Last photo:

I spent my early years working in the local Chevy and Ford dealerships and never saw a case spreader used. They always shimmed until they go the correct pattern and pre-load and wedged it in slightly tapping with a wooden mallet.

Why the change from 3:08 to 3:55 that is not going to produce much change.?

Vince
Old 05-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
They always shimmed until they go the correct pattern and pre-load and wedged it in slightly tapping with a wooden mallet. Vince
I've done it that way too...until I messed up some shims and didn't have anymore to finish the job lol.

Last edited by cranky1; 05-25-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:03 PM

I want to change to the 3.55 for better take off and still be able to do highway driving without the high rpms.A t least that what I am told 3.73 will be a bit too much.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.