Ring and Pinion recommendation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ring and Pinion recommendation

Hey guys, just got on the site and had a general question regarding ring and pinion ratios for my car. I have a Pro-street, 2nd gen Camaro with 31" x 18.5" tires. The engine is a 671 blown, 355 sbc with a TH350 trans and 3000rpm stall. I previously had a tunnel ram intake with 4.88 gears in the narrowed 12-bolt. With the old motor, the car would scream rpm's when driven on the freeway but was very street able off highway. With my new blower motor I would like to install a gear that is more friendly on the freeway. Would a 3.73 or a 4.10 ratio work with my combination. Do any of the "blower guys" have recommendations ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Envirominded hotrodder

Last journal entry: Stupid broken leg
Last photo:

4.10s will be best for 1/4 mile times and most likely your 60ft times as well, but if you're tooling around town and on the freeway 3.73s will be best for your engine and milage. In fact, with 6-71 helping make power, a 3000 stall TQ keeping it in the powerband, and those massive steam roller rear tires hooking it to the ground, depending on what your car weighs, the 3.73s may give you the best over all. I'm curious to see what the consensus is...
Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador of 'Pane
4.10s will be best for 1/4 mile times and most likely your 60ft times as well, but if you're tooling around town and on the freeway 3.73s will be best for your engine and milage. In fact, with 6-71 helping make power, a 3000 stall TQ keeping it in the powerband, and those massive steam roller rear tires hooking it to the ground, depending on what your car weighs, the 3.73s may give you the best over all. I'm curious to see what the consensus is...
DITTO for me. wouldn't drop any lower than 3.55. He's probably making monster torque. Brian
Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedz
Hey guys, just got on the site and had a general question regarding ring and pinion ratios for my car. I have a Pro-street, 2nd gen Camaro with 31" x 18.5" tires. The engine is a 671 blown, 355 sbc with a TH350 trans and 3000rpm stall. I previously had a tunnel ram intake with 4.88 gears in the narrowed 12-bolt. With the old motor, the car would scream rpm's when driven on the freeway but was very street able off highway. With my new blower motor I would like to install a gear that is more friendly on the freeway. Would a 3.73 or a 4.10 ratio work with my combination. Do any of the "blower guys" have recommendations ?
One of my concerns is that my roller cam is rated 3000rpm-6000rpm and my 10-inch converter is rated at 3000rpm. With 31" tires and a 3.73, my converter may slip alot, but with the blower torque it may not slip. With a 4.10 ratio I can probably achieve 3000rpm's with less convertor slip, but with the blower on I don't think I need the extra gear. Does this make sense, because I'm confused?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Envirominded hotrodder

Last photo:

EDIT>>>You posted while I was typing! Check back in a few minutes while I read your post and rewrite Mine, haha!

Definitely! When you start talking roots blower power, you start dancing a fine line. All the torque and power in the world won't move you anywhere if all that energy is being spent turning your tires into marbles and smoke. The lower gears can help keep you from doing that by giving the traction coefficient of those huge tires an edge, or it can backfire if you still have too much torque and break loose anyways because you'll have to back off to hook back up. I hope more people chime in, I want to hear other's experience...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Envirominded hotrodder

Last photo:

You are right despite being confused,haha! With the blower, even with the that cam, you will be making plenty of power below 3000rpm, so you don't need the 4.10s to get into your powerband. IMHO, the CON: 4.10s are more likely to over power your tires and break loose, but PRO: will get your through your gears to your top speed faster, while the 3.73s will PRO: be easier to hook up, spread your gears further apart and increase your top speed, but CON: if you break loose they'll be harder to recover and hook up, and take longer to reach top speed.

I've never run tires anywhere near that grabby, so I really hope some pro-streeters speak up!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:21 PM

Last journal entry: car is painted
Last photo:

This all depends on how much power you make and if you plan on racing or cruising it. If you plan on running in the 9s, use the 3.73 gears. If you don't make enough power to run in the 9s or even low 10s, then you will want to run the 4.10 gears. More info about what you are doing with the car would be helpful.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE FROM SM
This all depends on how much power you make and if you plan on racing or cruising it. If you plan on running in the 9s, use the 3.73 gears. If you don't make enough power to run in the 9s or even low 10s, then you will want to run the 4.10 gears. More info about what you are doing with the car would be helpful.
The car is street legal and I cruise it on the street mostly, but on Fri/Sat night I drive her to the strip, uncap her and go. Since there are no emmisions laws here competition is fierce and there are some wild 9-second cars cruising on the street. Unfortunately my car does not have enough power to run in the 9's. This car is heavy!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 AM

Last journal entry: car is painted
Last photo:

I would run the 4.11 gears. With the big tire, you will need the extra torque to "hit" the tire hard enough to hook up.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

Decision made

Thanks for all your input! I will swap out the 4.88's that I currently have installed and switch to 4.10's.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 PM

I run 3.91

I run a ET Drag radial 28.5" tall and the 3.91 gear....I have a .85 overdrive in my stick tranny and I tell ya If I could do it again I would be switching back to a 3.42 or 3.55 gear....or even less....My car is heavy and I have a naturally aspirated 406 Pontiac....Let the torque do the work...dont rev it to the moon...On the highway my car is barely tolerable. with 3" exhaust and spintech mufflers its loud...and turning about 3-3500 RPM constantly....I dont drive to far away shows because of it.

With a blower and a F body I dont see the need for the deep gears....
Old 06-18-2007, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montebrian
I run a ET Drag radial 28.5" tall and the 3.91 gear....I have a .85 overdrive in my stick tranny and I tell ya If I could do it again I would be switching back to a 3.42 or 3.55 gear....or even less....My car is heavy and I have a naturally aspirated 406 Pontiac....Let the torque do the work...dont rev it to the moon...On the highway my car is barely tolerable. with 3" exhaust and spintech mufflers its loud...and turning about 3-3500 RPM constantly....I dont drive to far away shows because of it.

With a blower and a F body I dont see the need for the deep gears....
Montebrian,
Thanks for your input and experience, I was just about to purchase 4.10's. What type of stick do you have? Your trans sounds like it has very steep gears. My TH350 only has a 2.52 first, 1.52 second and 1.1 third. With 4.88's, 31" tall tires and the blower, my car revs about 3200rpm at 55mph. This is my dilema, 4.10 and rev it less or 3.73 and let the torque do the work. With a TH350 and 3.73 gears my 3000rpm converter may slip alot. But from what you recomend 3.73 gears are the way to go.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I think the 3.73 will be fine. Of more concern will be lugging the motor by not down shifting. I know the blower makes huge torque at lower speed but it is still being lugged. You can do some damage to the rings and pistons running gas.

Here is a thought. Locally there is a guy who is converting holley and demon carbs to run E-85. (85% alcohol) This is very high octane rating..105 or so and $2.25 per gallon at any station around here. He has a Nova with a blown SBC that makes 500 hp. Posted the dyno sheet on his window. Last week this car, a Camaro with tunnel ram, A chevelle and another car were in his display at a local streetrod event, all running E-85. All these car run very very well. The blown car runs so well it sounds like a resting tiger. haha.

You have to run richer, high compression, you can run more boost with no detonation, and a bit more advance. You won't get quite as goo mpg but if you are blown who cares??

I'm looking at converting my Willys to E-85 shortly too.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
I think the 3.73 will be fine. Of more concern will be lugging the motor by not down shifting. I know the blower makes huge torque at lower speed but it is still being lugged. You can do some damage to the rings and pistons running gas.

Here is a thought. Locally there is a guy who is converting holley and demon carbs to run E-85. (85% alcohol) This is very high octane rating..105 or so and $2.25 per gallon at any station around here. He has a Nova with a blown SBC that makes 500 hp. Posted the dyno sheet on his window. Last week this car, a Camaro with tunnel ram, A chevelle and another car were in his display at a local streetrod event, all running E-85. All these car run very very well. The blown car runs so well it sounds like a resting tiger. haha.

You have to run richer, high compression, you can run more boost with no detonation, and a bit more advance. You won't get quite as goo mpg but if you are blown who cares??

Bentwings
Thanks for the input! Like you mentioned, I don't want to lug the motor and slip my converter alot, but if I install 3.73's I guess I'll probably have to cruise around in 2nd gear and save 3rd gear for the highway.

As for E85, I wish we had it here. The price per gallon sounds unbelievable! Currently I run 76, 100 unleaded or if I go to the track alot I feed her 103 or 115 race gas mixed with 93 unleaded. The prices are ridiculously high!!! I ran Avgas once, 130 octane. I mixed it with 93 unleaded. The car ran a little lean and had hesitation symptoms but it was cheaper than race gas.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings

As far as the whole E-85 debacle, I drive my car regularly(Daily). MPG is a big deal for me. From all that I have read you will only get about 80% of the mileage as Gasoline. Then the cost becomes a wash. The good thing is it's renewable and keeps us from depending on foreign oil. There is no perfect solution. There will always have to be a compromise some where. I have come to terms with that and my blood pressure stays a lot lower and stable. I'd still like to choke the crap out of some of the major oil company executives for gouging us. Anyway talk to ya later. Brian

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.