Ring and Pinion size? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ring and Pinion size?

I built a truck over the past 10 months and now that it finished Im experiencing some major vibration through out the truck at about 55.I used all truck drive line components and did take into consideration that I would have this problem.

So my question is what ring& pinion size to I go junkin' for?

i used a Chevy SM 465 granny tranny and a 10 bolt rear from a 97 Saburbon,my tire size is 205/60/r15.

I would like to get a rather tall rato,..3.08,....2.73?

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.

tim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

The vibration is probably the driveshaft due to bad driveline angles or simply out of balance or bad ujoints.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
The vibration is probably the driveshaft due to bad driveline angles or simply out of balance or bad ujoints.
Everything's properly aligned,joints are new.My tire size is too small for the ratio ,Im just looking for opinions.It runs at 2,500 rpm at like 60 mph.

Thanks for the input tho,...
Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Keep the rear you have and change the gear.
The unit you have is probably a 3.42, but might be a 3.23 or a 3.73.
If its a 3.42 and you change to a 3.08, you'll be going 68 mph at 2500. With a 2.73 gear, you'll be doing 76 at 2500.
I would be concerned that it will still vibrate whenever the drivehsaft speed equals 55 mph.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
Keep the rear you have and change the gear.
The unit you have is probably a 3.42, but might be a 3.23 or a 3.73.
If its a 3.42 and you change to a 3.08, you'll be going 68 mph at 2500. With a 2.73 gear, you'll be doing 76 at 2500.
I would be concerned that it will still vibrate whenever the drivehsaft speed equals 55 mph.
Its not a terrible vibrating,it just seems that the drive train is going is WAY to fast for the over all wheel speed.Does that make sense.

Looks like im going to go with the 2.73s

Thanks again for the input!

Tim
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM

What imsport is telling you is diagnose the vibration problem 1st, then if you want to change gears, have at it! You should not have a vibration regardless of speed/rpm.
dave
Old 09-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Maybe Im misdiagnosing the vibration all the way,considering this is a 62 year old truck with a modern drive train and a raspy little 300 hp motor.I do believe balancing the wheels may help too.Im sure when I get ALL these factors ironed out Ill be pleased with the results.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

If the Surburban is a 1/2 ton then the rear end that you have will be a 8.5 10 bolt. This is a very good rear end and should be more than enough for what you are doing with it. If it was a 3/4 ton then it is probably a 9.5 14 bolt. This is more than you need and is just adding extra weight to the truck.

As for the vibration it is probably in the drive shaft. If the drive shaft is not strong enough for the RPMs that it is turning then it will distort at speed and no amount of balancing will fix it. You need a drive shaft that is at least 3 inches in diameter and 3 1/2 inches would be better. If the drive shaft is very long then you need to go with 4 inches or more to prevent distortion. Most people with vibration problems will over look the real reason for the problem, which is almost always the drive shaft, due to diameter, length, RPMs, angles or other problems.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
If the Surburban is a 1/2 ton then the rear end that you have will be a 8.5 10 bolt. This is a very good rear end and should be more than enough for what you are doing with it. If it was a 3/4 ton then it is probably a 9.5 14 bolt. This is more than you need and is just adding extra weight to the truck.

As for the vibration it is probably in the drive shaft. If the drive shaft is not strong enough for the RPMs that it is turning then it will distort at speed and no amount of balancing will fix it. You need a drive shaft that is at least 3 inches in diameter and 3 1/2 inches would be better. If the drive shaft is very long then you need to go with 4 inches or more to prevent distortion. Most people with vibration problems will over look the real reason for the problem, which is almost always the drive shaft, due to diameter, length, RPMs, angles or other problems.
Yes,you are correct that 10 bolt is a 8.5".Ill have to make another adjustment to my yolk angle.But then again I did just put this truck together,i didnt mention that it was bagged.So Im sure that playing with ride height a bit will help me out.The drive shaft is a stock 4.5"x61" unit out of a short bed.

Heres a few pics,...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0906121102.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	623.4 KB
ID:	67906  

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.