Ring & Pinion Swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ring & Pinion Swap

Itīs time to address the clunking in my rear axle, itīs now 27 years old and has never been touched.

The original ring and pinion ratio is 2.73:1, I was looking to 3.42s to get some zippy acceleration, but would more conservative 3.08:1 serve me better ?

Bearing in mind the B/M 700R4 I have has a lower first and higher overdrive,
but I cannot give any info on the exact ratios.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 06:30 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The 700 has a 3.06 first gear and overdrive is around .70. What are you working on and what rear end does it have in it? You may have to change more than just the gears, depending in the rear end.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The gear ratios of a th700 are 3.06 1.61 1.00 and OD .7 to 1.

If you want "Zippy acceleration" and have the th700 trans you can and should get real agressive in your new rear gear ratio choice. The 30% overdrive ratio in the transmission really has a profound taming effect on a high rear gear ratio. The higher the axle ratio the more profound the effect of the 30% overdrive at taming the effective ratio in OD.
So a 4.10 gear gets tamed down to a hiway cruise friendly 2.87:1 ratio in overdrive.

Get some 4.10's and really get the benefit of a OD transmission.

You can get very agressive on the rear gear ratio. 3.08's is a waste of time.

is this a truck? Rear tire diameter?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

Malc is working on his 3rd Gen F-body, he's in Spain as well.
I do not know if he has the typical rear axle in his car or the oddball Aussie built 9 bolt
Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

I have the wonderful GM 7.5 inch carrier 2 rear.
I did say my first is lower and my overdrive is higher, but I got the trans so long ago I have no idea what those ratios are.
At the moment at 80mph Iīm turning 4000rpms.
I want the best of both worlds, acceleration and cruise economy..........
economy could, I suppose take the back seat....

Iīm planning a complete overhaul, ring/pinion, bearings and reusing my PowerTrax.
If I can get enough dough together, axles might be in there too.

This will be my first time "in the rear" so Iīve ordered a book and ībeen watching this,

My Summit cart floweth over.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

You can get special thick 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 gears for the 7.5 with the 2 series differential. If you are planning an upgrade from 26 to 28 spline axles then you will need a 28 spline differential and a new Power Trax to go with it.

If I get time later I will try to watch that video, but you have to be careful about what you watch. There are MANY youtube videos on building rear ends that are COMPLETELY WRONG.

I would recommend a 3.42 or 3.73 at the most. The 3.06 first gear in the 700R4 will make a 3.42 seem like a 4.10 in first and a 2.41 in overdrive as compared to a TH350. A 3.73 would be like a 4.56 in first and a 2.56 in overdrive.

If you get a vibration at highway speeds you will have to get a better dirve shaft. A stock drive shaft is not made to handle the higher RPMs that you will see after this gear swap. This is a very comon problem when changing gears.

Contact Jim at www.jdrace.com and see if he will ship parts to you. The installation kits and some of the other rear end parts that Summit and Jeg's sell are junk. I do not recommend buying rear end parts from them.

Last edited by big gear head; 11-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
41 Buick custom (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Ditch the Powertrax. probabily the sourse of the noise. You had also best verify the accuracy of the tach and the real rear gear ratio. Third Gen F body tachs suck.

The key to the 7.5" 10 bolt is correct pinion gear depth setup and pinion crush sleeve compression. And correct ring gear back lash and bearing preload set up.
Usually the factory OEM installed pinion gear shim is the correct one. Unless someone changed it already.
This is your start point when setting up the ring and pinion gears.

The 26 spline axles are plenty strong. But a power trax diff will beat the hell out of any axle.

Get a Eaton or the Auburn posi. Sell the Power trax to a drag racer or 4x4 buff.

80 MPH and 4000rpm does not equal a 2.73:1 gear ratio. Unless the transmission is stuck in 2nd gear.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

[QUOTE=big gear head;1913394]You can get special thick 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 gears for the 7.5 with the 2 series differential. If you are planning an upgrade from 26 to 28 spline axles then you will need a 28 spline differential and a new Power Trax to go with it.

If I get time later I will try to watch that video, but you have to be careful about what you watch. There are MANY you tube videos on building rear ends that are COMPLETELY WRONG.

I for one would appreciate that. I'm thinking of changing out the gears in my 2000 E350.

BB
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

The guy in the video, John Kelly at Weber State University seems pretty legit.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The best gears you can get for this 7.5" rear is the OEM HD GM gears that were installed in the old S-10 pickups.
The old 4 cylinder S-10's came with HD 4.10's
Even if you get them from a wreckers, good used.
But the OEM differentials suck. The guy that showed me was the Lead Hand in the GM AXLE plant here that origionally built these axles.. 1000's and 1000's of them.

Use high quality GM gears and install them correctly and DON'T USE A LOCKER style diff and this axle will out live you.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

OEM 3.23 to 4.10 gears will not fit the 2 series differential. You will need a 3 series to use them.
Crosley (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 04:15 AM

Last photo:

My rear gears are 2.73, series 2 carrier.

From what Iīve read above Iīm more than likely going for
Richmond Gear Ring and Pinion Sets 4900051
using their installation kit 8310441.

I wonīt be updating to 28 spline axles either, itīs going to be expensive enough as it is, remember I have shipping and import to pay.

The torque converter in my car is a B&M Holeshot Torque Converter 70415.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Those gears will work fine, but that installation kit is junk. Like I said before, all of the kits that Summit and Jeg's sell are junk. Tom's Differentials and Randy's Ring & Pinion have the best installation kits. Jim at www.jdrace sells Randy's kits and he might ship to you. He also sells their gears which are also good.

Here is something that you might want to look at. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tr...axle-gear.html
malc (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

I watched the video. Certainly not the best that I've seen. One thing that I do NOT agree with, about 4 minutes into this he says that pinion bearing preload must be set before anything else can be done. Setting the pinion bearing preload with the crush spacer or even the solid spacer is a complete waste of time until you have the pinion depth set. Yes, you must set the bearing preload on each trial assembly, but not with the spacer installed. That is done at the final assembly, after the pinion depth and backlash have been set to get the correct contact pattern.

Also, checking the bearing preload with the ring gear and differential installed is a complete waste of time. If you measure the preload at 30 inch pounds with a 2.73 gear and you set up a 4.10 gear with the very same amount of pressure on the bearings then the preload is going to measure much less because of the leverage difference between the 2.73 and 4.10 gears.

There are a few other things that I don't completely agree with, but I'll let them go for now. Just be sure to get your pinion depth set correctly before you install the crush spacer and pinion seal.
malc (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Those gears will work fine, but that installation kit is junk. Like I said before, all of the kits that Summit and Jeg's sell are junk. Tom's Differentials and Randy's Ring & Pinion have the best installation kits. Jim at www.jdrace sells Randy's kits and he might ship to you. He also sells their gears which are also good.

Here is something that you might want to look at. 10 bolt axle gear install by the numbers (pic heavy) - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

The installation kit I linked is a Richmond, Summit sells them but are they junk ?
From thirdgen.org;
"Move on to a better install kit from Yukon, Precision Gear, Moser, or Richmond Gear. You will get more complete kits and usually better bearings."

For pinion depth setting I thought of using this, Ratech Pinion Depth Setting Tools 10003.

I did get the need to set the depth first, otherwise your going to screw up
a load of crush sleeves.

The thirdgen.org link is good Iīve book marked it for later.

Iīll have access to a press and have ordered up an inchpound beam torque wrench.
Iīm off to explore jdrace.com.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.