at the risk of sounding like an idiot.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM

Last journal entry: 46 mercury bobber pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

at the risk of sounding like an idiot....

in all of the air bag suspension kits that i have seen for lowering cars, nobody has ever mentioned a thing about shocks. are shocks no longer used on these lowrider cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Shocks are still used for a comfortable ride. My truck in my photo album is set up with rear shocks from an F150 offroad in the back to control the bouncing at low pressure in the bags, yet still gets 12" of travel. I haven't done the front shocks yet since I still have to change a few things around first.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

cool truck
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Bags and shocks

I have not bagged my 65 C10 yet but plan to.
Like was mentioned....if you plan to "lay frame" AND run shocks you'll need to make sure the shocks have enough shock travel to handle the full range of travel from fully up....to fully slammed.
Based on a lot of years of driving Big Trucks, and Buses with air ride suspension, I can tell you that with air ride if you have a shock going bad you WILL notice it.
Shocks make a huge difference in the problem of wheel bounce, and tire wear.
I think that is why AIR SHOCKS never became the standard because they were valved on a single line, so they would rock side to side. They also were bad about wheel hop if your ran a soft pressure.
I suggest you take the time and expense to run shocks, and make sure to run a line to all 4 wheels, and run separate switches.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 AM

Last journal entry: hoops
Last photo:

shocks are a necessity and most "lowriders" run them. However, you will find that many do not have them in the front of their trucks and this is due to the fact that they are often times very hard to put in and not limit suspension travel.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Thats going to be my problem, but I do want to figure out how to get one in the front. Especially since mine is going to be my 3 season daily. I'm just not brave enough for winter. Like msturg said, you do have to find the right size for the application without killing either the lift or the drop.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

putting them in the front will not be too hard, i'll attach it to the rear outer edge of the lower a arm and build an outrigger style mount for the top off of the frame. done!!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturg
shocks are a necessity and most "lowriders" run them. However, you will find that many do not have them in the front of their trucks and this is due to the fact that they are often times very hard to put in and not limit suspension travel.

It is not the travel although that is in play ...... shocks inhibit the bounce of the front ..... as designed BTW

I think kangaroo cars are right on the same street as rat rods just odd ........does not compute, as a used car salesman would say there is a butt for every seat.

I am just very peculiar where mine sits.

There is an advantage to the slowriders over the rats !..................................a better quality of parts fall off ...
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Last journal entry: hoops
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
It is not the travel although that is in play ...... shocks inhibit the bounce of the front ..... as designed BTW

I think kangaroo cars are right on the same street as rat rods just odd ........does not compute, as a used car salesman would say there is a butt for every seat.

I am just very peculiar where mine sits.

There is an advantage to the slowriders over the rats !..................................a better quality of parts fall off ...
maybe you misunderstood what i'm saying about limiting travel. It's hard to find a shock that is small enough to fit in between the gap of the frame and the upper control arm while still getting 12+ inches of suspension travel

to go from something like this

to this

now granted, with that size wheel combo I didn't need that much lift in the front to clear the wheels, but when I did have shocks on it, it would lift enough to turn but I was maxing out the shocks, so it rode like I was sitting on bumpstops.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atotalnincompoop
putting them in the front will not be too hard, i'll attach it to the rear outer edge of the lower a arm and build an outrigger style mount for the top off of the frame. done!!

Don't forget to check your turning radius, if the shocks are too close to the outside of your control arm, you won't be able to turn the wheels as much. Just something to think about before you start.

And thats a nice looking Ranger there. Glad to see I'm not alone here.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto
Don't forget to check your turning radius, if the shocks are too close to the outside of your control arm, you won't be able to turn the wheels as much. Just something to think about before you start.

And thats a nice looking Ranger there. Glad to see I'm not alone here.
good point, if need be i could always lay the shocks horizontally across the front crossmember and use some levers of some sort. that may look pretty cool

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.