on the road again - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

on the road again

Car's been sitting about a year and a half while getting a paint job. Is it nuts to take it on an approx. 7 hour round trip drive?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Nope

Shane
Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
Car's been sitting about a year and a half while getting a paint job. Is it nuts to take it on an approx. 7 hour round trip drive?
Heck no, man, the Fall colors should be nice in your neck-o-the-woods too. Just do your maintenance and have a great Cruize.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the encouragement folks, but a stupid mistake kept me from taking the car on the trip: I couldn't find the darned license plate sticker. When it was renewed back in April, the plate was in the trunk and everything was masked off, so the new one got lost in the house somewhere.

I don't think the car has any seals or gaskets that would dry out and leak. It would've been nice to test it out, but there will be other days and trips.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Out here on the wrong coast if your fees are paid, and your year sticker is missing, all you get is a fix-it ticket...costs 10.00 and 3.00 for the new sticker...I'd have risked it for that..

I purposely don't put my decal on, if I go for a whole year without getting pulled over, I get a new sticker on my toolbox.

As you can see, I'm good at it... (my home toolbox has the one from '79.. That's when I started that game.)

About 3 months ago, not putting my decal on even got me out of a ticket for running a red light...When I explained why my decal was not on, and that it was a game that I'd been playing for over 25 years, the cop said he had never heard of anyone doing what I do, and was so amused, that he said if I put my decal on, and lost my game for this year, he'd let me slide on the ticket.

Later, mikey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0368.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	33348  

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I tried that too Mike, unintentionally the first time . I had bought my first Monte, dropped the check in the mail, drove it to the tech school next day, and locked up the v6 on the way home. Lesson learned from that event? If the car doesn't have decent functioning gauges at the time of purchase, it will before I license it.....

In a while, Chet.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Out here on the wrong coast if your fees are paid, and your year sticker is missing, all you get is a fix-it ticket...costs 10.00 and 3.00 for the new sticker...I'd have risked it for that..
D'oh! I never even thought to check the penalty in my state. I was so irritated and frustrated and disappointed at not finding the thing. You know -- nose jammed in the knothole and screaming, "What trees?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
I purposely don't put my decal on, if I go for a whole year without getting pulled over, I get a new sticker on my toolbox.

As you can see, I'm good at it... (my home toolbox has the one from '79.. That's when I started that game.)

About 3 months ago, not putting my decal on even got me out of a ticket for running a red light...When I explained why my decal was not on, and that it was a game that I'd been playing for over 25 years, the cop said he had never heard of anyone doing what I do, and was so amused, that he said if I put my decal on, and lost my game for this year, he'd let me slide on the ticket.

Later, mikey
That's just too cool. On your part and that cop's. Wish I had thought of it. I guess you know you're going to be responsible for a whole tag-the-toolbox movement, now.

I had to point my wife to your comment. (She had to listen to my ranting about the sticker. Well, she didn't have to, but she did).

My guess is the cop reasoned that the only real cost to the state was the time it took him to call you on the missing sticker -- you'd paid the fee -- and the entertainment value to him covered that.

My trip wasn't too bad after the disappointment over the license. It was a long-distance high school football game. (I'm the volunteer videotaper for the coaches). I had to drive my old clunker of an '83 Volvo 240. Both my son and my daughter expected it to disintegrate along the way. One of the coaches rode with me, even though I drove in order to be able to feed my nicotine addiction during the 3+ hour trip. We followed the school busses into the hills of eastern Kentucky with the speed varying from 45 uphill to 65 down the other side (they're governed).

It was a helluva game -- back and forth until the last minute. They beat us by 4 points; final score 34 - 30. Gorgeous setting, stadium and field. It was nestled into a pocket amongst tree covered hills. The hills around the stadium were black just before game time, but the setting sun was still setting the hills in the distance ablaze. Beautiful fall colors.

On the way back we didn't follow the busses. The coach slept and I let 'er romp somewhere in the general neighborhood of the speed limit. Got passed by two sheriffs on the Cumberland Parkway, but they didn't seem to mind my, um, imprecision about the speed. I estimate they were moving at around the century mark.

Had to stop for gas at one point. Wanted to stop earlier, but nothing was open. Managed to put 11.155 gallons into a 10 gallon tank. Must've been running on damp spots and fumes.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:22 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
I guess you know you're going to be responsible for a whole tag-the-toolbox movement, now.
and we saw it "first" right here on Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.