Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

- Powder Coat and Paint -

Since I have the equipment available, I thought I would go ahead and spray a coat of powder coating before reassembly. In keeping with all the firsts for me in this project, this is the first time I've powder coated anything for myself.

I went ahead and reassembled the air horn, float bowl and throttle body without any bolts. My thinking was that this would make the masking easier and I could run a single ground wire to the throttle body. I then plugged all holes and masked off the top of the air horn.

I cheaped out and used regular masking tape. After the parts were cured in the oven, the tape left sticky gunk behind. It was easy enough to remove using the Chep-Dip and cleaning brush. However, painter's masking tape may be better. Lesson learned.

I really wanted to powder coat the smaller parts and linkages as well but due to time constraints, I chose to use high temperature metallic spray paint instead.

In retrospect, I would have really liked to paint the body a glossy black, and the logos and serials numbers red. Unfortunately, with the linkages in the way, it was too difficult, but still something worth trying the next time.

To be honest, the powder coating looks much better in the pictures for some reason. Had I done it all properly, I would've sprayed a second coat for the areas that were missed (minial). Overall, it looks good and does the job.