Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Tommy has good eyes!

The retainer collar IS on the PP (below). It has become loose over time, and if too loose, staking it into position might not be a good idea (but it IS an option for a slightly loose retainer), unless a replacement couldn't be found. But Gessler has the split collar type for a couple bucks, so...

At least there's no more wondering on my part whether it used the steel retainer or what. Mystery solved.
Thanks TommyK! Here is another view of the cap raised up:

Not sure how lose is too lose but, you are right. For a couple of dollars, why risk it. It is now on the shopping list.

I also tried taking a picture of the meter rods retainer spring to show what condition it was in... and "lost" it in the process. Whoops... I am sure you can see how bad it looks. Just bent every which way.

On the subject of PP, I saw these hash marks on the tube where the PP goes. Do they mean anything?

-------------------

Going back to a previous post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The jet and rod sizes are stamped into them. The jets have the number on the top surface as you look down at them orientated as if they were installed.

The rods (primary and secondary) have the size stamped onto the rod, you'll need to look for it, possibly use magnification (I do, but my eyes are old).
I tried looking for the stamped numbers and they are hard to see. Taking a picture was even more difficult. It took some heavy editing to bring out the markings. On the jets, the marking is "73". But I can't really make out what it says on the rods, aside from the "3"at the top. "3mm"?