Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

**CORRECTIONS**

I obviously misread the section quoted below. cobalt327, you were talking about the tubes in the airhorn. The books does not offer a procedure for removing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
In any event, this means removing the down tubes from the airhorn (unless, God forbid, you want to sand on the main body ). Measure their installed height before removing them, and be careful when you remove them.

I don't know what procedure he uses for this. If you would, post what it is. I would insert a solid piece of wire the same size as the ID of the tubes into them so they could be gripped w/o crushing them.

The inner tubes are bottlenecked on the bottom, so you will want to go in from the top w/the wire "reinforcement", should you try to remove them this way. The inners are also small, it may take a bit from a numbered set to do it, or maybe a cut down pin, etc. Make sure the end of the wire extends out of the tubes, after gripping them for removal the wire will be trapped and you'll want to be able to grip the wire for removal.
Also, I did not give due due credit in the last post for the quotes so here it is: **All quotes and cited sections are from Cliff Ruggles' "How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors", copyright 2006.

No more reading technical stuff while sick with the flu. Lesson learned.

---------------

In the book, Ruggles really stresses installation of primary shaft bushings:
Quote:
"A must for all rebuilt Quadrajets, installing primary shaft bushings reduces side play at the primary shaft. Leakage at the primary shaft is a big problem with used carburetors. It not only makes tuning nearly impossible, but it also allows unfiltered air to enter the engine. A custom self-guiding drill bit is used to open up the shaft bore in the base plate. A bronze bushing coating with Red Loctite is then driven in place." (chapter 5, page 73).
This bushing kit is available on his website for $59.95 + $6.50 S/H as of this writing.

I unfortunately do not know if my carburetor is suffering from any leakage. But regardless, is this a worthwhile procedure, especially considering the cost? I hope to talk to Ruggles about this over the phone once I am better, but I was curious as to what others have to say.

**All quotes and cited sections are from Cliff Ruggles' "How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors", copyright 2006.