Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
A lot depends on how the return spring was set up. If the spring pulled rearward (same direction that the throttle cable pulls) from the lower part of the throttle arm, wear can occur within the life of the engine it was installed on because both the throttle linkage AND the spring is working together to cause twice the wear. But if the return spring was hooked to the upper throttle arm and was attached to a bracket forward of the carb, this will act to offset each other and the wear will be less.
Going by the pictures of the carb as it sat in the truck, the springs are setup for a forward pull and seem to be in good condition.

--------------------

Last week, I called up Ruggles and ordered the parts from him. Very nice guy to talk to and, of course informative. I asked him about some of the discrepancies between my carb and what is provided in the decoding info. Ruggles said that the divorced choke carbs were used on the trucks until 1978, that's why some of the parts are listed for older models.

I went ahead ordered the power piston retainer, the ros retaining clip and the accelerator pump. The parts showed up by Thursday.