Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

- Mystery Dashpot -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The part you were wondering about the name is a "dashpot". It acts as a slight delay, preventing the throttle from 'slamming' shut. It's unnecessary for the most part.
EDIT- I see yours has a vacuum barb on it. This may still be just a dashpot, or an idle speed modulator of some type- I do not recall ever seeing a vacuum barb on a dash pot- so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it is, exactly.
I feel the "mystery dashpot" is indeed the Throttle Lever Actuator. The system as described here seems to match. The only issue is, the nut in the front is twisted in a "locked" position so that it doesn't move (see picture below). Perhaps the intention of the previous rebuilder or owner was to permanently set a maximum throttle? Please refer to the set of pictures in the previous post for more angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
What action occurs when vacuum is applied to it- does it retract, or ?
After unlocking the nut, I did test it by sucking on it and it moves perfectly with out requiring much pressure.

Please do chime in if you have anything to add or correct. Thanks