Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Not having an EGR valve is common w/the larger truck series. So even though the aftermarket intake was bought w/o one, it probably didn't have one originally. Considering how everything else seems to have been retained that had to do w/emissions, it would have been easy to replace the intake w/an EGR-equipped version if the engine had an EGR to begin with.

You should be able to determine whether an EGR was necessary when the truck was made by checking w/the emission refs or possibly online. You will probably have to go by the gross vehicle weight.
Well, the local smog police (aka smog shops) didn't even want to smog test my truck because the EGR valve was missing. The mechanic looked it up in his book and it said that it was supposed to have come with one (assuming it is a California truck, which I believe it is). The motor itself isn't the one the came originally came with either (provided the Goodwrench 350 valve covers werent just tossed on). But of course, you do have a point when you say that the rest of the emissions equipment was retained.

I'll see if I can dig up some info online.

Thanks!