Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 10:17 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

- Reinstallation -

For reinstallation, I pretty much went in reverse of of what I did during the removal process. The pictures came in very handy. I did secure everything down, but did not fully tighten in case it had to removed. I also did not install the throttle lever actuator at this time, so as to have more space to access the idle adjusting screw.

--------------------

- Initial Startup -

The battery seemed to be holding some juice after being parked for over two months so I thought I'd go ahead and fire it up. You can see the video of here. The truck didn't start and the battery began to die. I hooked the battery up to the charger and also noticed that I had not installed the choke as well as the small hose that runs from the choke pull-off to the carburetor. Please see images above for reference. The video shows that the linkages seem to be working and the fuel can be seen being delivered in the glass-cased filter.

After setting up the choke, linkage, the small rubber hose and also charging up the battery I gave it another go. You can see the video here. This time, the truck still struggled to start and would die right after catching on. I gave it gas a few times. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the rod connecting the choke to the linkage and come out of place. in the end, I saw a flame shoot out of the carb and immediately stopped everything.

As of now, the battery is charging, and some Stabil has been added to the gas tank. I still need to put the choke rod back in place. A Youtube video by HolleyPerformance gave some info as to what causes backfires and how to eliminate them.

Aside from the choke not working and possible ignition issues, anything else I should be on the lookout for?