Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
A quick way to check for bad gas is to buy a few feet of rubber fuel line and hook one end to the fuel pump and put the other end in a gas can of fresh gas. Also check your spark plugs to see if they are fouled.
Bad gas is what eventually led to the rebuild. Somebody dumped water and debris into one of the gas tanks. And its always possible that the gas I put in afterwards has also gone bad from sitting around for a couple of months. The spark plugs I do plan to check asap. I think there is a gapping issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
Do you have a thick base gasket? If not, use a thick base gasket and make sure the carb it tightened down good. Plug all the vacuum ports on the carb until after you get it running, that way you will know if there are any problems before you put them back on.
That's what I forgot! The base gasket! And yes, it does appear to be very think when compared to the other gaskets used. (Is it obvious that I am getting carried away by the excitement of finishing this, to the point that I'm forgetting things? Lesson learned).

Thanks for pointing that out V8.

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 03-27-2011 at 10:15 PM.