Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I tried a search for "YF5 emissions", etc. and got basically nowhere.

I recall the smog station telling you it needed an EGR. My only question about this is, because all the other emissions devices were left intact, why would the PO then do something as obvious as removing the EGR if it was there in the first place?

The difference in the cost of the intake w/ and w/o the EGR isn't much. It's VERY obvious to a visual inspector that it's missing- so if it needs one, how was it passing CA emissions previously?
In retrospect, the smog tech was more concerned about the visual inspection (required to pass) than actually smogging the vehicle. I did ask him for a "pre-test" to see what the numbers were like, but he wouldn't do it, saying that the C.A.R.B. boys were really cracking down hard on all shops.

As to how to passed smog before, either the vehicle's emissions are good and some shop went ahead and smogged it without worrying about the visual inspection. Or it passed illegally.

I got in touch with the previous owner about the smog a while back and he said the ower before him had smogged the truck before selling it to him. And although the seller is required by CA law to smog the vehicle before selling it, I didn't have him do it because of the way the final price was worked out. He had also mentioned that the truck had passed smog "recently".

Here's what's throwing me off: there is no data plate. Were they not standard on all vehicles at the time? There is just a small plate titled "Assigned Identification Number" with the VIN and a "Control Number". I have never seen one before and have no idea what that means.

Anybody with any input or a helpful direction please do chime in.

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 03-30-2011 at 07:05 PM.