Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rochester Quadrajet 4MV Carburetor: Removal, Disassembly, Rebuild (Rookie Level)
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Does the VIN that's on the plate follow the format shown HERE? If not, the original VIN plate may have been removed, or the vehicle is rebuilt, etc.

Is there a spot on the dash driver side w/2 holes where the original VIN tag would have been riveted?
I'll have to verify the exact VIN once I get home, but Im 100% sure that is the format, and includes the letters CLK in the first part. I did see the rivets behind the plate this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
You have a assigned title. That is not the VIN that came on the truck. The truck might have been made from other parts or something happened to the VIN. If the truck came from out of state it might not have had the CA smog equipment on it.
That, or the vehicle was perhaps retrofitted with the standard VIN later on?

California DMV site was of no help. However, according to DMV.org:
Quote:
1981 was a pivotal year for vehicles. That year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) required all vehicles to have a standard, 17-character vehicle identification number, or VIN. Since then, automakers all over the world have adopted the VIN.
Apparently the issue has come up on this forum before, but nothing was found.