Rochester Quadrajet mix up!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rochester Quadrajet mix up!!

I have a Quadrajet M4ME bolted to a 454. The carb is shot and i ordered a new one and i received a M4MC instead with a no return policy. The differences being the Electric Choke and the hot air vacuum. Is it possible to put the M4MC in if i switch the Electric Choke plate and put it in the hot air vacuum housing? plugging off the vacuum inlet? Also there are more inlet/outlets for vacuum hoses throughout the carburetor, what ones are necessary in order for the M4MC to operate properly?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

Check out Cliffs Quadrajet forum... Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454gmc77 View Post
I have a Quadrajet M4ME bolted to a 454. The carb is shot and i ordered a new one and i received a M4MC instead with a no return policy. The differences being the Electric Choke and the hot air vacuum. Is it possible to put the M4MC in if i switch the Electric Choke plate and put it in the hot air vacuum housing? plugging off the vacuum inlet? Also there are more inlet/outlets for vacuum hoses throughout the carburetor, what ones are necessary in order for the M4MC to operate properly?
You should be able to simply swap the electric choke coil from the old carb to the new one.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
You should be able to simply swap the electric choke coil from the old carb to the new one.
Make sure you eliminate the gasket on the hot air choke housing or the electric choke won't ground.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454gmc77 View Post
What's needed to adequately answer your question is knowing how this 454 is setup? Is it native to the vehicle and/or what year is the engine and vehicle?

Yes you can switch the choke plate or you can wire up the electric choke. Which vacuum ports get capped goes back to the engine installation and what the vacuum needs to operate? Again the year or a customized installation if not original will be helpful information.

Bogie
Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM

i was able to switch the electric choke in for the hot air choke. and it seams to be working just fine. I caped off all the un-used vacuum ports and it seams to be running ok and just needs a good tune up. The motor is an 1983 with the some major modifications. who ever put it in my 1977 truck had a good idea but not the best knowledge of how to accomplish it. The belts and alternator are from what seams to be a 93 or newer chevy. They have wired the whole engine differently than normal and i am in need of a new wiring harness for the whole truck. As far as the vacuum ports on the old carb there were two that connected into the valve covers and then one into the distributor which is a hot ignition system. My truck has some major potential but is in need of some great tlc.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.